Thread: I just bought the ULTIMATE off-road toy!

Senior Member Getting Dirty Adondo's Avatar

I just bought the ULTIMATE off-road toy!

One each, Max II, amphibious 6x6.

Here it is, still sitting on the truck after picking it up from 3 hours away.

After getting rid of the peeling camouflage covering.

Version 2.0 of the truck's platform. It was NUTS getting the machine on and off with that first ramp-step I built, but it was put together sight-unseen. After getting it home, the ramp/platform got remodeled. Now, it doesn't feel like it's going to nose dive and tumble down the ramps.

The "bumper" made of a 4x4 and 2x4 cleats. It keeps the 6x6 from coming into the cab when backing it up. The entire platform including "hole fillers" on the sides, and the bumper remove from the truck in less than 3 minutes.

The dashboard is going to get a makeover soon, maybe this weekend. Before I'm done, it'll have an LED lightbar(s) GPS, and who knows what else.

The first time out, I finally got brave and headed out into a lagoon off the Columbia River. I can tell you it just feels WRONG when the tires leave the bottom and she free floats. I semi-panicked and couldn't get back to the beach fast enough. That'll take major getting used to. Other than that, it goes over just about ANYTHING you aim it at. Top speed is close to 25 MPH. It's just like a tank for steering.
    2006, 4.7L, QTII, Toyo Wild Country M/T 265/70R17 tires, Ultrasport 175 wheels, Rocky Road 2.25'' lift kit, HID off-road lighting, Surco 50x60 roof rack, Foxwing awning, Superchips performance programming.

Senior Member Getting Dirty Adondo's Avatar
    Here's version 1.0 of the platform/ramp setup. The 6x6 felt like it was going to flip forward as it climbed that plywood step-up because the rest of the machine was still on the tailgate ramps.

The Vanguard 20HP V-twin with it's carb removed. It's already back on now, it had old gas and wasn't idling right. The shop still has the tinge of varnish stink.

A Before shot of the back end. The 20 HP was shoehorned in sometime in its life.

After adding pieces of an old oscilloscope lid I had laying around. It's lightweight aluminum and full of 3/16" holes for venting.
    2006, 4.7L, QTII, Toyo Wild Country M/T 265/70R17 tires, Ultrasport 175 wheels, Rocky Road 2.25'' lift kit, HID off-road lighting, Surco 50x60 roof rack, Foxwing awning, Superchips performance programming.

Senior Member Getting Dirty hoaxci5's Avatar
    Those are neat, my dad has one for his up north Michigan property.

Senior Member Getting Dirty Ross's Avatar
    That's awesome! I've seen a couple on craigslist around me.

I love workin on these smaller engines, very simple and forgiving. I recently swapped a 212cc harbor freight clone motor onto a little Chinese quad, that's still small enough to fit in the back of the XK. I've maxed the engine to about 9 HP and added a comet torque converter. It pulls wheelies all day and can get to about 40 mph, not to mention how ridiculous it looks roaring down the beach with no muffler. I'll have to post up some pics.
    2008 3.7L QT-1 dark blue Jeep Commander // 3+" modified OME lift with 3/8" Rocky Road strut spacer // 4" rear SL springs // 265/70/17 Goodyear Duratracs (Load E) // 1.5" spidertraxx spacers // F-150 Monroe Load Levelers // 4xguard matrix, front guard, belly guard, and rock sliders // 130 watt KC Daylighters - 2 // Airflow snorkel // Thrush welded exhaust // Defender Roof Rack with side ladder // Hypertech Max Energy Programmer

Thread Information