Thread: Air pressure in new MT/R's?!?

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar

Air pressure in new MT/R's?!?

So I'm trying to figure out a good psi to run in the new tires so they wear even. I have 8 inch wide wheels and the tires are 305's (approx 12 inches wide). Right now I'm running 32 psi (the air pump at gas station was set to 32 psi but for some reason my air gauge says they're at 30 psi). I did the chalk test and the very outer lugs don't seem to be making contact with the ground. The tires are load range D with max psi of 50. The old 285's were also load range D but max psi was 65. I ran those at 34 psi and they wore perfect. What do you guys think?
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Theyre 305/70/17?

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Nevermind thats the only 305 size they make...

You're running the min wheel width so its going to be difficult to get even wear from the start. Though at only 35 psi theyre rated for 2400 lb per tire (stock tires are 1900). So I wouldn't be concerned keeping them between 30-32 to help equalize tread wear.

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    That's what I figured. Running the min size width wheel balloons the tires a hair which will in return wear the middle a little faster. That's why I dropped the psi down a little from what I was running in the 285's
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Thread Information