Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Backup / Reverse camera upgrades or modifications

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar

Backup / Reverse camera upgrades or modifications

So while I'm going to have to relocate my camera regardless (rear tire will be in the way) I was thinking about the possibility of upgrading the camera in the process.

Ideally i'd like to leave the OEM camera where it is, unplug it and use one of these:
    TaoTronics TT-CC17 Camera

.. Just need to figure out how to tie into the existing wiring, assuming it puts out the proper signal.

Anyone look into this yet? And/or any members with more of an electrical background have any advice? I'll have to dig through my service manual to see if I can get an idea of the video type and control for the OEM setup and maybe look at the manufacturer specs for the aftermarket options.

I'm surprised this hasn't come up yet either; i guess no ones had the stock backup camera go bad? It's really expensive compared to aftermarket options.

Senior Member Getting Dirty lekmedm's Avatar
    I was able to adapt an aftermarket camera (Kenwood) into our Subaru. It just needed its own homemade harness with a Molex plug. I'll try to dig up some info. It might help you with some ideas on how to get it to work with the XK.

Sent from wherever my Jeep takes me.
    2007 Commander Overland / 4" SuperLift / 285/70R17 Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx / Rusty's adjustable rear UCAs / Carolina Driveline front drive shaft / Flashpaq / DRLs & Tilting Mirrors / Autolite Iridiums / Cobra 29LX Chrome LE CB & Firestik antenna / Rear fog lights / Mopar Grille Guard with HID driving lights
    "4 wheel drive does not mean 4 wheel stop!" -Lee Goldberg, WABC TV weatherman

That's exactly what i'm hoping can be done... once I find the harness I was going to probe the wires and see which one is the "activation" supply when in reverse, then the other should be the video feed. I'm not scared of making my own plugs and soldering; just not very experienced in video signals.

Appreciate any help!

Senior Member Getting Dirty hoaxci5's Avatar
    I thought that was all part of the canbus nightmare?

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty 1USMC's Avatar
    You might see if any of "MyGig Lockpick" products could be of interest to you.

They are "plug and play" to our systems and I think they now handle up to three of your own cameras (they sell cameras also).
    I have one of their older models to control my front camera that I also got from them. > http://www.coastaletech.com/MYGIG.htm
    Last edited by 1USMC; 11-16-2013 at 01:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hoaxci5 View Post
    I thought that was all part of the canbus nightmare?
    Not familiar with this.... the camera isn't wired directly to the head unit is it?

Quote Originally Posted by 1USMC View Post
    You might see if any of "MyGig Lockpick" products could be of interest to you.
    Definitely going to check that out.

The other option, since my CD player doesn't work, is to just tough it out and replace the whole head unit someday with something that's plug & play with other cameras.

Ok nevermind the lockpick idea... not spending almost $400 get my rearview to work lol. I'll just relocate the camera i have.

Though the cameras they have available look like some of the standard aftermarket ones. Not sure why I couldn't get a similar one and solder on the necessary connectors

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty 1USMC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Ok nevermind the lockpick idea... not spending almost $400 get my rearview to work lol........ Not sure why I couldn't get a similar one and solder on the new...
    I'm with you on the $ part just to get the rearview cam working better! The big Lock pick module is for using all the nav and video functions from the front while driving. The camera part is not its main function. But.. I was thinking (like you) that I can see no reason at this time why you could not use an aftermarket camera like theirs and splice into your OEM wiring. Lockpicks wiring harness use standard RCA connectors and I doubt if they "adjust" the output signal before it gets to our screen.

They are not open on weekends, but they have always answered my questions in the past (especially if they think you are buying a camera from them). I have have left a message with them for their tech dept.

Hopefully, If I'm not working out of the area next week they will reply and I will let you know what they say.

Thanks man!

Senior Member Getting Dirty hoaxci5's Avatar
    I'm not sure on the signal part of things, but I was trying to trigger my rear view to come on with a switch and couldn't do it. Ultimately decided it was triggered on by canbus. There are only two wires on the back of the nav unit that run back to the camera though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information