Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Backup / Reverse camera upgrades or modifications

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty 1USMC's Avatar
    Matt,
    Coastal Technologies Electronics , (long title to type) tech did get back to me about using aftermarket cameras with factory systems and if an interface would be needed.
    He thinks that they most probably would Not work with a factory system without some sort of interface.
    It would depend if the system is analog, digital, compression algorithm, etc etc etc.

He also noted that they do not sell cameras any more and only Lockpic and interfaces.

So I started wondering if he was perhaps slightly bias and perhaps just trying to sell one of their product?

I have also came across notes like this in the past >

Adding a Camera to a Car

If your vehicle already has a factory navigation system with a screen, you can integrate an aftermarket camera with that system instead of installing a separate LCD on the dash.
    These OEM interfaces are very specific to vehicles and head units, so it's best to consult those companies' Web sites to confirm compatibility with your vehicle.

Most aftermarket cameras have standard composite video output via universal RCA plugs that connect to virtually any aftermarket display.

So… I contacted a couple of other retailers I have interfaced with.>

Pac-audio Tech said it would most probably work and you could splice one of their cameras into our system.
    http://pac-audio.com/Products.aspx?CategoryId=34

Nav Tv was the most helpful, knowledgeable and even looked up our exact video feed systems in MyGIG.>
    http://www.navtv.com/index.php They knew all this

MyGIG models

RER / REW / REP

Name:  RER_Radio_01s[1].jpg
Views: 83
Size:  36.8 KB

REU / REX / RE1

Name:  REU_Radio_01s[1].jpg
Views: 54
Size:  31.1 KB

REN / REZ

Name:  REN_Radio_01s[1].jpg
Views: 90
Size:  36.3 KB

RBZ

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RBZ_Radio_01[1].jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	2184

"To date, three different versions of the MyGIG radio have been released in North America, models RER (with navigation), REN/RBZ (without navigation, and with or without Satellite radio) and REU (with navigation and remote display screen). Model REU is currently available only in the all-new 2009 Dodge Journey. MyGIG radios use two different Bus systems, high speed and low speed. Vehicles designed for a high-speed electrical bus will not work on a vehicle with a low-speed bus, and vice versa. Credit to WKJeeps. "

Nav Tv feels confident that our composite system is compatible with other composite cameras.
    He noted that there is a newer "Uconnect' radio out, (not a MyGIG with Uconnect features) that use a different type video format.

Most say you can carefully solder the connection, some don’t recommend it. I have seen different “how to” and videos on U Tube.

Nav’s camera’s seemed a little higher priced than most , but I would recommend them over the others for tech questions.
    Last edited by 1USMC; 11-21-2013 at 04:42 PM.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Ron.... you-are-the-man

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information