Thread: Did my CB install kill my battery?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Member Looking for Dirt

Did my CB install kill my battery?

Gearing up for Big Bend next weekend, I spent yesterday installing my CB. Per the instructions (and because I thought it was easiest), I ran the power/red wire directly to the terminal. It was fine all yesterday and two trips today, and then it just wouldn't start. I took care to make sure the CB was off, and the battery would not jump either. It would just click once and be dead. I finally had to use roadside to have it towed to a shop, where it sits. A couple of things to note:

2 weeks ago I had a brand new Diehard AGM battery installed in it. Been starting great.

The key fob is trashed to a point where I have to manually lock/unlock it, listen to the "alarm" and turn the Jeep on/start it to make the alarm stop. Never been a problem with this.

My first instinct, the alternator, is original. I know it has at least 60K miles in my possession, no idea how many original miles Somewhere between 60 and 112K.

I just can't imagine that the cb would have done this, and even if it did, wouldn't a jump bring it back to life?

Thanks guys,
    Ryan

Senior Member Getting Dirty The_War_Wagon's Avatar
    It COULD be the battery - it could also be your starter! Won't turn/won't jump makes me think the latter.
    '07 Jeep Commander, Rocky Mountain Edition - 287 V-8 - Superchipped - aFe Stage II R-5A CAI - Flowmaster Super 44 - 2" Daystar lift - Spidertrax spacers - 32x10.5x17 Cooper A/T's - Fastman throttlebody - Skyjacker 8000 shocks

Member Looking for Dirt
    Hmm. Had the starter done about a year ago and I'm sure it wasn't oem parts. We'll see. Just seems odd to be so close to the cb install. Blah. Thanks!

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    lol yeah unfortunately this case can be a lot of different things. IF the battery is the cause, i would triple check the CB install and make sure its not pulling any current when off.

Since it's at a shop we can't have you probe around with meters and such... so keep us informed how it turns out

Member Looking for Dirt
    Ok, shop called and said it starts every time. He said it had a stored code for key fob performance. In fairness, my fob is super trashed, missing buttons, and even with a fresh cr2032, doesn't always work. So, I know I need a new fob. But, should I let the shop do it and just eat the cost?

My little grey spare does start it, so I could use it while I sort out the fob issue. Or, is there some other alternative I can do? It's at the shop now, so I'd appreciate some quick guidance!! Thank you!!!

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    If you had two working keys you could program a 3rd one yourself. Since it sounds like one of the keys is questionable you'll probably have to let the shop do it.

Thread Information