Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Started a new front bumper.

Senior Member Getting Dirty

Started a new front bumper.

Time to let the cat out of the bag. I have been working on a steel front bumper for my rig. I finally got the first parts from the metal shop and welded them up.

Now I can start designing the rest of it - lower radiator skid plate and something to make it look like an actual bumper...

If the rest goes as quickly as the initial phase, expect to see the completed product by about March.
    Last edited by brendon; 11-14-2011 at 08:52 PM. Reason: rearranged photobucket...

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Very cool, it is noce to see those who can building custom projects for their Commanders. Looking forward to future updates.
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty El Cid's Avatar
    Very nifty! Looking forward to the advancing project.
    Mike
    2006 5.7L Limited, Inferno Red, QDII, and all goodies. Modified Superlift 4" lift-kit, B.F.G. 285/70R17 A/Ts (1.25" spacers), Aries tail-light guards, AVS ventvisors, KC Hilites off-road lights, and from 4xGuard: Belly Guard, Front Guard 4, Matrix brush guard with Receiver and Grill Hoop, Rear Diff Guard, Rear Guard 2, Rear Sliders, and Side Guards.

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    Looks good so far! March is a long time from now though.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Senior Member Getting Dirty cico7's Avatar
    Cool beans man, I mean bumper.
    Are you going to include a mount for you driving lights.
    Are you adding some sort of of a 110V outlet. (converter)
    Why do you have a receiver on the front?
    Why do any of these bumpers put receivers on the front?
    Why does the Matrix have a receiver ?
    Last edited by cico7; 08-28-2010 at 08:32 PM.

Senior Member Getting Dirty NeilSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Front receivers can be used as an easy attachment for a winch, makes it easily removable. They are also good for moving a trailer around the house in tight places for those of us that aren't that great at backing one up. Surf rod racks are also handy items for the beach and you could have that up front and still have a receiver rack or boat in the back.
    '07 Commander 3.7 V6
    2" Rough Country Lift with Vision Warriors and Goodyear Duratracs 245/75R17
    BajaRack Mega-Mule with KC Daylighters
    http://s624.photobucket.com/albums/t...cpZZ1QQtppZZ20

I painted this part today and it will go back on for some real world testing - I'm going to pull my friends Suburban around at different angles and up some hills to see if anything comes apart. This is my first big welding project since I was trained on the job to weld about 15 years ago and shortly thereafter quit the company. The first couple welds were not too pretty (that's what grinders are for) but at least it looks like I got good penetration.

Cico- There will be end caps that will probably accomodate the stock fog lights. 110V receptacle? And as Neil mentioned, I will get a winch in a cradle and then I'm not limited to only front end winching. I could even put a receiver in my garage to dock the winch and pull disabled cars up my driveway. This I could have used this a few times now!

Senior Member Getting Dirty cico7's Avatar
    I thought about a 110V converter with an outlet on the front. I have thought about doing that. Which is in part why
    I asked about another battery in another thread

I finally had a chance to test this portion structurally.

My brother-in-law hooked up a 6" wide recovery strap between each point individually and his Caterpillar and pulled my rig around as dead weight. I think this will hold up well on the trail

I have blueprints made up for the mating skid plate so that should be done soon. I'm actually ahead of schedule!

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty WanderingTs's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I would love to know the cost once you are done also. Not that I have the welding skills to do as much of my own work as you are, but I am curious how it stacks up to a major maker's bumper.
    The best things in life can not be found on a map; they can only be found while Wandering.
    __________________________________________________ ___

2007 XK - 4.7L Flex Fuel // Rocky Road 2.25 lift // Rocky Road Super Sliders // Toyo Open Country 265/70R17 tires // 4xGuard Front Guard // 4xGuard Belly Guard // 4xGuard Matrix-HC with optional front hitch // Warn XD9000I hitch mounted winch // Graco Carseat for the Youngun

http://www.xk-forum.com/blog.php - The Wild(life) Side of Jeeping

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information