Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Custom spring & 5100 adjustable strut combo (1.5-3.5 lift range)

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty 06JeepXKHEMI's Avatar
    Trust me Im looking right passed those numbers, math is not my strong suit by any means!!! I think I see where you're going but Id have to agree with Adam, go with uncut first and see where you're at, then start cutting
    2K6 Limited Jeep Green Metallic/Saddle Brown Leather XK HEMI QDII Old Man Emu HD Suspension w/ Fox Emulsion 2.0 Rear Shocks 1.5" SpiderTraxx Wheel Spacers 265/70 GoodYear MTRs w/Kevlar True Dual Exhuast w/IMCO 50 K&N 63 CAI Diablo 91/Performance Transmission Tuned SA Belly Skid MOPAR Gas Tank Skid, Transfer Case Skid, Suspension Skid Front Tow Hooks 6k HID Lows/3k Fogs

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    It would be easier if I still had a 3rd vehicle so im a bit more pressed for time this go around.

I'll measure the spring and if I can take 1/2 coil off and still be at least a half inch longer in length than a stock spring, that should all but ensure 3" lift. If I end up a little short I can always slip a strut spacer in with relative ease

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    So are you planning on running a MD spring with 1/2 coil cut and the Bilsteins at max lift. Then when you install the Superlift drop the struts down to the lowest setting?
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

^^ exactly

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    Stupid question Matt, but how exactly does the Bilstein strut achieve lift? Does the strut itself get longer by adjusting it to achieve the lift or does the lower coil mount move keeping the strut the same length? If it's just the lower coil mount that moves and the overall length of the strut doesn't change wouldn't that throw your numbers off as far as how much lift you will get?
    Last edited by 07JeepXK; 12-04-2013 at 08:52 AM.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

The overall length stays the same and the lower perch moves upwards to add preload, which I've accounted for (the additional preload has slightly different effect on lift depending on spring rate).

However an unknown right now is how long the actual 5100 series is which may provide some lift itself. That's something ill have to measure when they get here and adjust the amount I cut accordingly.

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    matt this may be off subject pertaining to this- but it involves the 5100s... would the spring rate go up or stay the same when you add an OEM Hemi coil to the 5100s adjusted to the highest setting of 2"? If the spring rate increases, what is it at that setting? thanks for your help dude.
    2007.5 WK Laredo
    - OEM+ -

The spring rate does not change.

I wish I knew the spring rate of the stock hemi coils but Jeep wouldn't disclose that info when I contacted them.

Senior Member Getting Dirty thance's Avatar
    With OME HD springs and struts, a 3/8 spacer and using the extra space in the strut bolt hole to my advantage I have about 4" of lift up front. In fact I attached the plow yesterday for the first time since playing with the suspension early in the year and it is a 4 3/4" off the ground. Not very useful. I need an adapter to drop it.

Anyway, I can see the adjustable struts being fun, but not sure that you get any more lift, just more possibilities.
    2010 5.7 QTII - OME HD w/ 3/8" spacers up front and F150 MLL in rear, JBA UCA 6.7, JKS 2034 Front Quick Disconnects, Gas Tank Skid Mod, PinchWeld Mod, 1.5" SpiderTrax, General Grabber AT 265/70/17, Custom Front Receiver / Plow Mount, Custom Tow Rings F/R, Diablo Intune.

Im not looking for more lift, im looking for the same lift with the ability to lower it at a later date.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information