Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Custom spring & 5100 adjustable strut combo (1.5-3.5 lift range)

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    Nice. My front struts are shot. Have had them about two years now and it's time for bilsteins
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Core XK's Avatar
    2 years and they are shot? How much do you wheel? Lol

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    2010 Silver HEMI XK QTII

My Garage: http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...re-XK-s-Garage

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Core XK View Post

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Core XK View Post

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Not as often as I'd like to. But when I do it's no green trail at RC haha. The struts have been shot for a while. When I just replaced the rear OME shocks with the longer Superlift shocks, one of the rears were blown

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Nothing is Adam proof on my Jeep
    Last edited by 07JeepXK; 12-29-2013 at 07:15 PM.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    Forgive my ignorance but with the 5100s, do they limit the lift height to 2" or is it 2" + whatever the springs would net you? Cause I see that running the 5100s on 2" with stock 4.7 springs gets your right around 22", I'm wondering if running them on 2" with hemi springs on my 4.7 will net me more than 22"
    2007.5 WK Laredo
    - OEM+ -

It's 2" +

To think of it another way, on their highest setting they add up to 2" lift on top of whatever spring you have in there.

Quote Originally Posted by jjt250 View Post
    You could be right about a typo, Matt. The CRD weighs a little more than a Hemi and I don't really see why the XK would weigh that much more than a WK in the front. All I can tell you is that there definitely was a noticeable difference (just by eyeing them) when I compared the two springs side by side. Ride is a little stiffer and gave me probably +1/4" of lift. So over 130lb stiffer spring rate? I'm not so sure. I never got around to it, but I still have my stock CRD springs laying around if you need me to take some pics and measurements. Not sure how much that'd help you, but just let me know what you need and I'd be happy to help!
    Jumping back on this topic out of pure curiosity.

I think the 601 spring rate has to be wrong. I just measured the stock Hemi coils, the wire is .66" (basically 17mm).

Looking at the OME Springs, going from 19mm to 18mm wire drops the spring rate a full 100 lb/in. Given the same # of coils and assuming similar material properties, going down to 17mm wire would bring the rate down to 430 lb/in (close to the advertised 440). Although I counted 8 coils as opposed to the 8.9 coils for the OME springs, so that bumps the rate up a bit.

Accounting for the difference in number of coils, the Hemi springs I have here should be around 480 lb/in based on very rough estimates.

To bump that up to 601 would require some high-end spring material (not likely for production vehicles). However, 501 lb/in seems very possible..

If you don't mind measuring, what's the diameter of the wire on the CRD coil and the number of coils? (if you can, use a caliper to be accurate, it's hard to eyeball diameters to the mm increment)

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    so does that mean the hemi XK springs mostlikely have a higher spring rate than the OME MD coils?

any estimates what those on a set of 5100s set to 2" would net me? 2.5?

i saw ground to fender measurements- do you have hub to fender? ive see 2 people post measurements with the 5100s- a 4.7 WK with OEM springs and a rustys strut spacer netted 22.5", and a CRD WK with OME MD springs and the 5100s set to .75" netted 22".
    2007.5 WK Laredo
    - OEM+ -

No i believe it's something along the lines of:
    Hemi Spring rate = 501
    OME MD Spring rate = 530
    My cut OME MD Spring rate = 560
    OME HD Spring rate = 630

My front hub to fender is just a hair over 22" as it sits (37" to the ground). I'm not sure what that correlates to for a WK since the fenders are cut different and I believe are higher.

Being that you have a 4.7L and i'm not sure what your stock spring rate is, i'm not sure how much extra you'd get from the Hemi XK coils + 5100s. But ~2.5" is probably a good ballpark.

Took the jeep for the first long drive & alignment today. Aligned perfectly (I actually got the camber/caster on the passenger side right on in my garage, just had to adjust the driver side).

After the drive (~70 mile round trip... so about 100 miles total on the new setup) and the alignment, im still above 37" on both sides (actually about 3/8" higher) so i'm feeling optimistic i won't need those strut spacers. But i have them on hand anyways.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread Information