Thread: andyb's gun locker

Member Looking for Dirt

andyb's gun locker

Figured I could share a few of my firearms. I only have pictures of the handguns at the moment. Not a bad start on a collection for a 25 y.o.! Actually I have to admit, I've only had to buy the Walther, Tisas, and 870. Acquired the rest from Pops.

With me now:
    Walther PPS .40 S&W
    Tisas Zig 1911 A1
    Remington 870 12 GA
    Custom made, bolt action 30-06

Back home in the safe at the farm:
    Browning A5 12 GA (Japanese made POS)
    Remington 11-47 20 GA
    Winchester Model 70 .223
    Remington 742 30-06 limited collectors edition
    Browning .22 semi auto take down rifle

I'll get some pictures of some of the long guns to post. But for now here's the two handguns.

My CCW pistol. Walther PPS, Desantis Sof-tuck, and a Kholster that I've cut. Shoots great. Pretty big, snappy round for this tiny pistol but then again it's not a range gun so it doesn't make much difference. I have the 5 round flush mag shown in the pic above, and the two extended 7 rounders shown below. No longer have the intermediate 6 rounder seen below.

And I bought this 1911, well, because if you don't own a .45 ACP 1911, you're not a true AMERICAN MAN

I didn't have the coin for a Colt, Kimber, or the likes, so I bought this Tisas for about $400. Came with one Mec-Gar magazine so I bought a second Chip McCormick. Not much out there about them, but it's made in Turkey and shoots great. Pretty sure they make firearms for the Turkish military and police. It ate up all of the cheapest, dirtiest 250 rounds I've put though it getting her broken in. $400 for a 1911 you instantly think, "what a sorry piece scrap metal." No no, not the case. I highly recommend buying one to try out before people really find out about them and the price goes up. Just like what has happened with the RIA's.

Handmade holster by a guy here in NC. Chiefjason over on Carolina Shooters Club forum.

Had an out of town buddy here for work right after I bought the Tisas, so he went with me to break in the 1911. As you can see we were just having fun blasting rounds not really keeping track of anything. He had a blast, but wasn't too accurate haha. The head area shows what she can do from about 10 yards. Had to close out with a few from the Walther in the upper right corner.

2007 XK Limited
    4.7 Flex
    QDII
    Superchips Flashpaq

Member Looking for Dirt
    And lastly, my Kershaw. Bought her on clearance for like $15 and I love it.

2007 XK Limited
    4.7 Flex
    QDII
    Superchips Flashpaq

Senior Member Getting Dirty The_War_Wagon's Avatar

Thumbs up

NICE looking 1911, but I'm not familiar with that name - Tisas. Tell us more, and WHERE you got it. As a 1911 connoisseur, with a need for ANOTHER "truck gun," that might just fill the bill!
    '07 Jeep Commander, Rocky Mountain Edition - 287 V-8 - Superchipped - aFe Stage II R-5A CAI - Flowmaster Super 44 - 2" Daystar lift - Spidertrax spacers - 32x10.5x17 Cooper A/T's - Fastman throttlebody - Skyjacker 8000 shocks

Member Looking for Dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by The_War_Wagon View Post
    NICE looking 1911, but I'm not familiar with that name - Tisas. Tell us more, and WHERE you got it. As a 1911 connoisseur, with a need for ANOTHER "truck gun," that might just fill the bill!
    I was going to say, even before I finished reading your post all the way, this is the perfect truck gun. It seems to eat anything, shoots well, and at $400-ish won't sting too bad getting it banged/scratched up in the woods. Being a 1911 connoisseur I'm sure you will find/point out more faults than me. This is my first 1911. I have handled Dad's Colt, but to say I'm experienced with 1911's would be a lie.

The model is a Tisas Zig M 1911. It's a 1911-A1 clone.

Manufacturer Part Number TZM11FBW
    Item Number GTZM11FBW
    (think those are right, I copied it from the ad)

PROS:
    - slide/frame fit is very tight. Tighter than the others I was handling at the same time including RIA, ATI, Girsan
    - took it out of the box, cleaned it, and headed to the range. It's been completely flawless so far. 250 rounds of the nastiest, cheapest Remington UMC that money can buy.
    - Satin Nickel slide looks awesome. Never had anything two tone before Okay so that was just a totally subjective comment thrown in there

CONS:
    - both of us had some hammer bite after those first 250 rounds. NEEDS a beavertail.
    - trigger is a little heavy for a single action trigger (but from what I understand, what 1911 couldn't use a trigger job?) But still after shooting and being accustomed to my striker fired Walther any single action trigger feels like butter
    - I would consider that if you have problems with it for some reason, you probably won't get much help from Tisas. That's a complete guess though. I think it just had a one year warranty, but don't remember for sure. Heck, I'm just planning on not having problems!

PERSONAL PREFERENCES:
    - GI sights...obviously a little more difficult to get the sight picture, but I like the benefits of low profile sights for a gun that is more than just a range queen.
    - round mainspring housing on this gun...don't know if you prefer a flat housing
    - walnut grips...I personally like the walnut grips. They are not plastic-y, slippery, super lacquered up like a lot of wood 1911 grips are. I would like to have some checkering on them though.
    - Spring is HEAVY...I think 22 pounds?
    - Slide release is stiff. Should break in with more time though.

Buds Gun Shop is probably the place to get it. I think it's a Buds exclusive. That said, I bought mine from a local dealer who sells out of a shed in his back yard, ajguns dot net. He was a little higher than Buds, but by the time I would've added the shipping and transfer, plus the convenience of showing my CCW and walking out with the gun, I just spend the little extra to get it NOW haha. Told me he couldn't even buy it for the price Buds was selling them for, but came down a little bit for me.

I'd also take a serious look at Girsan, also Turkish made but slightly more money. Between the Tisas and RIA. It came down to the Tisas or Girsan for me. I liked both better than the RIA and ATI. The Girsan was a "combat" model and had a rail, skeleton hammer, extended safety, better slide release. Felt great, but to me and for specifically going after a 1911, I just couldn't bring myself to buy a 1911 with a rail.

Any specific questions?

Here are a few more pictures. Let me know if you want a better quality picture of something specific.

Last edited by andyb; 11-25-2013 at 12:12 PM.
    2007 XK Limited
    4.7 Flex
    QDII
    Superchips Flashpaq

Thread Information