Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intermittent starting issues

Member Looking for Dirt

Intermittent starting issues

Guys,

Many of you gave me input 2 weeks ago when my Jeep suddenly wouldn't start, requiring a tow to the shop. They extracted 2 codes related to "poor fob performance/communication" and thus, ordered, cut and programmed a new key. It worked great until this morning, when I drove to the gas station, was stopped for a bit, and it would no longer start. Same song and dance as before. Once click, no start. Not panicking this time, I disconnected the battery for about 5 minutes, and voila, fired up. Drove directly home, cut the engine, waited a few minutes and tried again. No dice.

To cut a long story short, I've got a new gremlin, and I can absolutely reproduce it. If I disconnect the battery for a few minutes, I get one start out of it, then nothing. I did some more research and it looks like the possibilities are a wireless module or ignition switch. In thinking about other gremlins I have, I do have a pretty good dash light flicker that sometimes causes the headlights to flicker. This somehow points to ignition switch, right? I'm not sure what to do next, because I really don't feel like dropping another ~400-500 bucks at the shop so quickly after getting it back. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Ryan

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    I would definitely try an ignition switch before going any further... not an expensive part an relatively easy to replace.

Im pretty sure someone on jeepcommander.com posted some step by step instructions; ill try to find the thread tonight when I get home.

Member Looking for Dirt
    http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...ad.php?t=23233

I picked up a Duralast from Autozone. I know it isn't Mopar OEM, but I'm in a pinch unless I want to take the bus to work tomorrow (which I may still have to). Going out to install it now.

Member Looking for Dirt
    The switch was not the cure, it still starts intermittently. Now I cannot even reproduce it. It may or may not start after a battery disconnect. I am probably going to have it towed tomorrow. 2nd time in 3 weeks...luckily I was able to get it home today and am not stranded. Sucks!

Damn man sorry you're having these issues.....

Not sure what your situation is like... but if you don't have to have it towed tomorrow i'd take a look at the connections at the starter. They're known to corrode and cause starting issues. If there's corrosion there, taking them off and cleaning them up might solve your problem.

Member Looking for Dirt
    It must have known that I was looking at fun stuff for it and decided to throw a curveball. Rookie question, but isn't the starter located in a real PITA location thats hard to get to? I had it replaced last year at the same shop that did the work for the key. So frustrating. Thanks for all the support!

lol yeah it's a bit of a PITA above the front driveshaft.

If it was replaced last year maybe it was mis-diagnosed and the wiring is the issue?? I've gotten XK's to start just by grabbing the harness and shaking it around; breaks enough corrosion free to get a good connection. Could be your starter was replaced but the harness was really the issue... and just the movement of the harness made it work for the past year.

Member Looking for Dirt
    Of course, electrical is NOT my strong suit. You shook the harness from the top or got under it and shook it?

Senior Member Getting Dirty The_War_Wagon's Avatar
    I hope this ain't something to look forward to - my warranty expires in 79 miles... but the payments DON'T!
    '07 Jeep Commander, Rocky Mountain Edition - 287 V-8 - Superchipped - aFe Stage II R-5A CAI - Flowmaster Super 44 - 2" Daystar lift - Spidertrax spacers - 32x10.5x17 Cooper A/T's - Fastman throttlebody - Skyjacker 8000 shocks

Shook the harness as close to the starter as i could reach. The corrosion is caused by water getting near the starter so the closer you can get to it, the better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information