Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Possible Looming Transmission Issues??

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    I think theres a calibration sequence you can do for the TPS. I wouldn't go throwing parts at it, especially for a system like ours that'll throw a DTC if throttle position doesn't match pedal position.

Member Looking for Dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I think theres a calibration sequence you can do for the TPS. I wouldn't go throwing parts at it, especially for a system like ours that'll throw a DTC if throttle position doesn't match pedal position.
    Yeah, really not trying to take the throw parts at it overall approach. But for a cheap $35 part I think it's worth a shot to throw this one at it.
    2007 XK Limited
    4.7 Flex
    QDII
    Superchips Flashpaq

I hear ya. Might as well disconnect the battery and leave the key on for 5+ minutes too.... reset the modules etc.

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Matt. I was having a crazy idling issue last march and was told to replace the Throttle Position Sensor. I replaced the TPS and haven't had any issues since. I got the part for cheap and only took a few minutes to replace it. I didn't get any codes or anything from the bad TPS so I think it's worth a try for him to replace it since it's very inexpensive. It wouldn't hurt to eliminate the TPS as being the problem. I have the same year and engine XK as he does
    Last edited by 07JeepXK; 12-04-2013 at 11:51 AM.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Idling issues without a DTC are a lot more likely than torque converter locking issues without a DTC caused by the TPS since the PCM is constantly monitoring pedal position vs throttle position while driving (so a hunting TPS without pedal movement would/should throw a code)

I was just saying it might be worth trying a calibration first since that might cause the issue without a DTC and not cost any money.

But yeah, for $35 kill two birds with one stone.... disconnect the battery and install a new sensor; Itll be a new part and automatically calibrate.
    Last edited by Matt; 12-04-2013 at 12:12 PM.

Member Looking for Dirt
    Trouble is the time constraints for me here. So if any of this fixes it, I'm not going to know which one did it, battery disconnect/reset, TPS, trans tune and fluid/filter change...
    2007 XK Limited
    4.7 Flex
    QDII
    Superchips Flashpaq

Lol as long as its fixed afterwards it doesn't matter, right? Fluid filter/change counts as preventative maintenance anyway

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    ^ what he said.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Member Looking for Dirt
    To me it won't matter what in the heck fixes it, as long as it's done! Just won't be of much help to anybody who has a similar problem in the future.

It is preventative maintenance. His though on the service though was it's money wasted if I end up taking it to a tranny shop real soon and they have to tear it down to inspect.
    2007 XK Limited
    4.7 Flex
    QDII
    Superchips Flashpaq

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information