Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Front diff actuator

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Lt_JWS's Avatar

Front diff actuator

My service 4x4 light has been on and off randomly and I have a code about the front diff. circuit open. Who has replaced it and how long did it take? I hoping to to get it installed before the "big" ice storm that is suppose to hit Sunday
    2006 XK 4.7V8 | Quadra-Drive II |2 1/2" Lift | K&N Filter| Port and Polished Throttle Body| Magnaflow# 12256 | Leather, heated seats, Command View| Factory Tow hooks | Full factory skids | Rear D-Ring Shackle |1.25" front/1" rear spacers | JK Wheels | 245/75R17 Nitto TG

Senior Member Getting Dirty lekmedm's Avatar
    What's the code?

I have a thread somewhere about my service 4x4 message with code that was solved by replacing the solenoid AND diff harness. If the info isn't here, I must have it over on JC.com.
    2007 Commander Overland / 4" SuperLift / 285/70R17 Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx / Rusty's adjustable rear UCAs / Carolina Driveline front drive shaft / Flashpaq / DRLs & Tilting Mirrors / Autolite Iridiums / Cobra 29LX Chrome LE CB & Firestik antenna / Rear fog lights / Mopar Grille Guard with HID driving lights
    "4 wheel drive does not mean 4 wheel stop!" -Lee Goldberg, WABC TV weatherman

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    If you're getting an open circuit code id check the plug/wiring first as Mark mentioned he had to replace the harness on his.

A quick resistance check of the solenoid would tell you if it's the culprit or not. Adam helped me look up the resistance when we were figuring out his QDII swap wiring...ill have to see if I can dig that up

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Lt_JWS's Avatar
    Don't remember the code right off, but I did the test for the code and connected a test light to the unplugged harness and commanded it up and down and the light output varied so it said replace the solenoid. I ordered both the harness and the solenoid to be safe and it was only around $60 for both parts so I figured i'd be safe and replace both.
    2006 XK 4.7V8 | Quadra-Drive II |2 1/2" Lift | K&N Filter| Port and Polished Throttle Body| Magnaflow# 12256 | Leather, heated seats, Command View| Factory Tow hooks | Full factory skids | Rear D-Ring Shackle |1.25" front/1" rear spacers | JK Wheels | 245/75R17 Nitto TG

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    I replaced the solenoid in my front ELSD but I did it with the front differential out of the vehicle. It took only a few minutes to swap in the new one. As far as doing it with the differential installed in the vehicle I couldn't tell you. If you can get the diff cover off and get up in there I'm sure you could probably swap it out while it's still in the vehicle. I'm just not sure if there is enough room to get in there.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

If you disconnect the driveshaft and the diff mounts you could probably rotate the pinion up so the covers facing down and get to it that way. I'd try that before taking the front end apart to pull the CV's out.

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    Good call. That's what I did to replace all three diff bushings on my old QT II diff
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

You don't need to disconnect anything other than the front diff cover. You just have to have the suspension at full droop. I've done it. Disconnecting other parts may facilitate, but I'd try simple first.

Sent from wherever my Jeep takes me.
    2007 Commander Overland / 4" SuperLift / 285/70R17 Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx / Rusty's adjustable rear UCAs / Carolina Driveline front drive shaft / Flashpaq / DRLs & Tilting Mirrors / Autolite Iridiums / Cobra 29LX Chrome LE CB & Firestik antenna / Rear fog lights / Mopar Grille Guard with HID driving lights

The front diff doesn't move with the front suspension so that shouldn't matter (except to lift the front of the jeep higher for more working room).

So there's enough clearance with the crossmember to remove the front diff cover? Very good to know

Umm... OK, maybe suspension droop isn't necessary, but wheels off the ground probably helps when rotating the diff. Anyway, that's what I was told they did it at the dealership, and it worked. I guess it won't work for me now with the SL front crossmember, though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information