Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Front diff actuator

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Yeah, to rotate the diff you need the front tires off the ground.... you also need to disconnect the front driveshaft and differential mounts which is what I was recommending.

The same process will still work for you with the superlift.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Lt_JWS's Avatar
    Just put it in last night, took some pics along the way, The pics are a little vague .... I think i'll make a guide.

1. Remove front skid plate(13mm)Disconnect the electrical connector for and the vent hose from the differential.
    2. Drain front differential.
    3. Remove front differential mount from body and from the front differential cover.(18,17,16mm)

4.Remove front differential mount on passenger side extension housing, this should give you enough room to gain access to the cover bolts.(18,16mm)

5. Remove front differential cover and let the remaining fluid drain and clean up the old RTV silicon on both the differential and cover.17,18mm?)

6. Remove 10mm bolt holding the wiring harness and disconnect the harness from the solenoid.
    7.Remove the front differential solenoid by pressing the snap ring together and prying/pulling up on the old solenoid.

8 .Before installing the new solenoid lubricate the new o-ring with something, I prefer Vaseline. Install by pressing the snap ring together and pressing down on the solenoid making sure the snap ring goes into the groves of the case.

9. Install the new wiring harness and connect the electrical connector to the solenoid, It was a very tight fit and required some extra force by a set of pliers.

10. Using your RTV silicon of choice re-install the front differential cover.
    11. Re-install the differential mounts and fill differential to the proper level. Test drive vehicle, If all is well and you don't have any leaks the re-install the front skid plate and enjoy your jeep!
    2006 XK 4.7V8 | Quadra-Drive II |2 1/2" Lift | K&N Filter| Port and Polished Throttle Body| Magnaflow# 12256 | Leather, heated seats, Command View| Factory Tow hooks | Full factory skids | Rear D-Ring Shackle |1.25" front/1" rear spacers | JK Wheels | 245/75R17 Nitto TG

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Good stuff man! Definitely make a write up of that; it'll come in useful...

It's good to see you got enough clearance by unbolting the diff mounts and didn't have to take the driveshaft off.

Senior Member Getting Dirty lekmedm's Avatar
    Great write up, but did this solve your issue??? Is the warning message gone?

Sent from wherever my Jeep takes me.
    2007 Commander Overland / 4" SuperLift / 285/70R17 Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx / Rusty's adjustable rear UCAs / Carolina Driveline front drive shaft / Flashpaq / DRLs & Tilting Mirrors / Autolite Iridiums / Cobra 29LX Chrome LE CB & Firestik antenna / Rear fog lights / Mopar Grille Guard with HID driving lights
    "4 wheel drive does not mean 4 wheel stop!" -Lee Goldberg, WABC TV weatherman

Quote Originally Posted by lekmedm View Post
    Great write up, but did this solve your issue??? Is the warning message gone?

Yes, no more service 4x4 light, Don't know if you can tell but the picture of the new and old solenoid the harness broke by pulling on it gently. I probably didn't even need the solenoid but i'd rather be safe than sorry
    2006 XK 4.7V8 | Quadra-Drive II |2 1/2" Lift | K&N Filter| Port and Polished Throttle Body| Magnaflow# 12256 | Leather, heated seats, Command View| Factory Tow hooks | Full factory skids | Rear D-Ring Shackle |1.25" front/1" rear spacers | JK Wheels | 245/75R17 Nitto TG

The code was "C1417" FYI

Senior Member Getting Dirty lekmedm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lt_JWS View Post
    The code was "C1417" FYI
    Yep... I believe I had the same. I'm glad it worked out for you.

2007 Commander Overland / 4" SuperLift / 285/70R17 Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx / Rusty's adjustable rear UCAs / Carolina Driveline front drive shaft / Flashpaq / DRLs & Tilting Mirrors / Autolite Iridiums / Cobra 29LX Chrome LE CB & Firestik antenna / Rear fog lights / Mopar Grille Guard with HID driving lights
    "4 wheel drive does not mean 4 wheel stop!" -Lee Goldberg, WABC TV weatherman

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information