Thread: Dash warning lights

Member Looking for Dirt

Dash warning lights

I started having a problem a few days ago ago and I was hoping you guys might have some advice. I was driving home from work a few nights ago and all of the warning lights on the instrument panel light up, flickered twice, stayed lit for a second or two then went off. Nothing stopped working and the jeep continued to drive fine without any kind of change. No problem for the next couple of days. Then yesterday at about the same point in my drive they all came on again but went right out. On my drive home tonight they all came on again but this time they continued to go on and off for almost the entire rest of the drive. This time I also noticed that the speedo and tach dropped down almost to zero everytime the lights came on and went right back up. Still everything else worked and the jeep ran fine. When I exited off the freeway the lights stopped going on and off but the ESP/BAS and traction control lights stayed on, jeep continued to drive as normal though. When i got home I did the key dance and no codes. Restarted the jeep and no lights at all. Any ideas?

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Sounds like the common ignition switch issue. Cheap part and relatively easy to replace so id start with that.

How old is your battery?
    Last edited by Matt; 12-10-2013 at 05:46 AM.

Member Looking for Dirt
    The battery's an optima red top I put in 3 maybe 4 years ago. I was going to get the battery and alternator tested this afternoon if I get a chance. I found some videos on youtube of almost the same problem and most people said it was ignition switch. Do you think the aftermarket ones from a parts shop are ok or should I order an OEM replacement?

Member Looking for Dirt
    I agree on the ignition switch. I just replaced mine a few months ago because of the same problem. I went with OEM.
    2006 Jeep Commander Limited, 4.7L, QDII, 4" Superlift Supension Lift, Procomp Xtreme Mud Terrain Tires 285 70R17, Mickey Thompson Classic ii Wheels 17X9, AEM Brute Force CAI, Superchip flashpaque, 4XGuard belly guard, 4XGuard Front Guard, Rear Grab handles and Defender Roof Rack.

Senior Member Getting Dirty BonesWK's Avatar
    x3 on Ignition switch. Had the same issue, switched it out and all good!
    Ryan ---- 2006 WK 4.7 QDII <- Click for Garage
    2.25" RR Lift - Front Bilstiens - Rear OMEs - 32" Wildpeaks - Saguaro 4x Shackles - Tail Light Guards - AFE intake - Rola - Exhaust
    Twitter Facebook ---- Chive On
    Quote Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
    Can't wait to see that big girl on those fat meats!

Thread Information