Thread: New navigation head unit suggestions

Senior Member Getting Dirty lekmedm's Avatar

New navigation head unit suggestions

Merry post-Christmas and a Happy pre-New Year to all!!!

So, I think the REC head unit in the ol' XK is dying a slow and painful death, and I'm researching for a new aftermarket head unit. I've been partial to Kenwoods for years now, but also had Pioneers years ago. So what might you suggest? I want something that has navigation built in. I see that some can download apps from wifi, which seems pretty neat. Kenwood uses Garmin navi. How easy (and expensive!) is it to update maps?
    2007 Commander Overland / 4" SuperLift / 285/70R17 Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx / Rusty's adjustable rear UCAs / Carolina Driveline front drive shaft / Flashpaq / DRLs & Tilting Mirrors / Autolite Iridiums / Cobra 29LX Chrome LE CB & Firestik antenna / Rear fog lights / Mopar Grille Guard with HID driving lights
    "4 wheel drive does not mean 4 wheel stop!" -Lee Goldberg, WABC TV weatherman

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Do you have any head units in mind? Mine's been unable to play CDs for a while, and an upgraded one would also let me use different backup camera options so i'm curious what you end up with... might be in my future too

I'm intrigued by this one:
    http://www.crutchfield.com/p_333ASTR....html?tp=20222

This one had more features, albeit a higher price tag too:
    http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113DNX5....html?tp=20222

Edit:
    This website, http://www.caraudiogiants.com/ has everything for the Kenwood at a total price of $735 shipped as compared to $925 @ Crutchfield.
    (DNX570HD Head unit + PAC RP4-CH11 adapter + 40-CR10 antenna adapter + 99-6510 Dash Kit)
    Last edited by Matt; 01-01-2014 at 12:17 PM.

Well, until recently I didn't realize that some of these head units were running Android, which means when connected to WiFi, you can d/l and run apps. I thought that was real cool, and, in the end, I'll be looking for something that will work like that. With that kind of radio, I can just tether it to my phone's wifi, and off I go! I'm all about having options, and this opens up a world of them.

I need to take a closer look at the Parrot. I'm also not sure on how to check about map updates for the GPS - are they free d/l's or paid somehow.

I sent an email to the PAC Audio guys asking what the adapter will save. Other than steering wheel controls, it doesn't sound like it will keep much else. So along with the radio, I may need a new SiriusXM module, rear seat monitor for movies, and back up camera. We'll see when the time comes.
    2007 Commander Overland / 4" SuperLift / 285/70R17 Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx / Rusty's adjustable rear UCAs / Carolina Driveline front drive shaft / Flashpaq / DRLs & Tilting Mirrors / Autolite Iridiums / Cobra 29LX Chrome LE CB & Firestik antenna / Rear fog lights / Mopar Grille Guard with HID driving lights

I am liking the new Kenwood DNN series!

I had an initial look at the Parrot but feel it's not quite right for me.

Wow I like that one too!

Anyone ever heard of Pioneer's AppRadio 3?

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/AppRadio

It looks interesting, and at < $400 on eBay, it looks like a contender!

EDIT:

I just realized this unit doesn't support satellite radio. It may be silly, but I've grown attached to my sat. I'd also be a bit concerned about data usage being so heavily dependent on apps.

Here's a nice review someone put together: http://www.appradioworld.com/2013/07...10-review.html
    Last edited by lekmedm; 01-07-2014 at 12:48 PM. Reason: More thoughts.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty pjmjr508's Avatar
    I don't like on the ones that rely on your wifi, I still have the grandfathered unlimited data plans on both my smartphones from VZW. So if I were to add hotspot to my plans to make these work correctly I will have to change my plan & will loose my grandfathered setup. I would like to find one that does what I will list below while able to access the internet via it's own WIFI or able to tether to my droids via BT, the 2nd would be ideal.

Also I have been thinking about a replacement for mine.
    Some of the really would likes is it to work with the existing backup camera & steering wheel controls along with the mic in the rearview mirror.
    Min requirement would be;
    Touchscreen
    Nav
    DVD
    BT
    Have to be able to integrate a drop down screen for the back seat & not via rf wireless.
    HD Radio
    Never really uses Sat or Sirius radio so that part really doesn't matter.
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

The thing I liked about the DNN series that Mark posted over the DNX series is that it will connect via wifi or a hotspot. So when it's parked in my garage I can turn it on to update maps/routes I made while sitting at my computer as opposed to having to re-make my routes when I get in the car. I think that's the only main difference though so i'm not sure i'd pay $300-$400 more for it. We'll see how the prices look next Christmas

From what I can tell, the GPS & traffic data is automatically updated without hotspots... i believe it uses one of the FM digital channels.

Steering wheel controls isn't an issue, there's an adapter for that. I'm not sure about keeping the stock backup camera, but that's a non issue for me since I can't see out mine anymore and want to get an aftermarket one.

Member Looking for Dirt
    JAT on this, as I'm feverishly finishing the acquisition of parts to install a mygig into my '06...I currently have the non-nav dumb 6cd setup in my XK, but I bought a little isimple box that allows me to hook up my iphone through the unit and stream SiriusXM. I have an old unlimited plan, so I don't worry about data usage. Point being, if you find something that can connect and control a smartphone, you could add a streaming account to your Sirius sub and ditch a radio sub at the same time. For the last 5 years or so, I've only carried a streaming plan.

Thread Information