Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ever swap injectors?(4.7)

Senior Member Getting Dirty

Ever swap injectors?(4.7)

So as I continue to get a damn misfire on cylinder 2 on my 4.7 I'm troubleshooting the hell out of it, and I'm considering it to possibly be an injector OR a lifter. The facts:

-changed all my plugs 1k ago with OEM champions and then the misfire occurred
    -swapped my coil packs from cylinder 3 to 2 and the misfire stayed with cylinder 2
    -swapped the plug from cylinder 4 to cylinder 2 and misfire still occurred on cylinder 2
    -the previous was just as bad as the other 7 so now reason to believe it's an injector yet
    -Seafoamed through the brake booster line twice mass amounts of carbon dispersed and still have a misfire
    -Seafoam in the tank with premium fuel helped alittle but the misfire came back

It's real apparent and happens when she's in OD and her RPMs are under 1800 and she's lugging it. If I knock it down to 5th gear she smoothes out and runs normal. But in OD lugging it she gets alittle rough and jumpy. Thoughts on this? I'd hate to get rid of her over this as it's really pissing me off. She has a misfire over the summer on cylinder 1 but I solved that with a couple seafoam treatments.
    2007.5 WK Laredo
    - OEM+ -

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    Swap injectors and see if the misfire moves to that cylinder
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

know of a write up to do so? i take it that its not as easy as swapping a coil pack..
    2007.5 WK Laredo
    - OEM+ -

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Swapping injectors isn't very hard... but the whole fuel rail needs to be lifted out. There's not much in the way, just the intake and vacuum hoses. You also need to relieve fuel pressure before doing this.

The link in this post has a service manual download- you can use it for a step-by-step R&R:
    http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...4&postcount=39

Compression test in the AM. Now in the event the injectors bad, would you replace just the one or would it make sense to replace them all?
    2007.5 WK Laredo
    - OEM+ -

Well considering I'm sure they aren't cheap, and like everyone says if it's not broke don't fix it I personally would just replace the one if that's the issue. But if your pockets are deep or you have a money tree in your back yard then he'll replace them all lol
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Well took it in for the compression test- cylinder 2 had a miss and was the oddball out. So they swapped the injector from #2 to #1, the miss followed to cylinder 1. Ordered a new injector and replaced it, all to the tune of $250. Not that happy about paying that much but she's running fine, I'll know for sure if she's really ok as I'll have her in OD more driving to and from work. But right now she has a new injector, clean fuel rail and a fuel system loaded with ALOT of mopar fuel system cleaner that they used at the shop.
    2007.5 WK Laredo
    - OEM+ -

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Sounds like that was your issue. Hope its all fixed up man!

Glad you figured it out!

Thanks guys! So far so good, I just feel like when she hits OD she going to throw a code... Guess I'm just paranoid. I will say my mechanic recommended running premium in the 4.7 or some cleaner in a lower grade gas- so just a heads up to those with the motor. Looks like I'll be throwing the 91 tune back on her next tank.
    2007.5 WK Laredo
    - OEM+ -

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information