Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My Steel Armadillo Bumper & Mods (Matt's version)

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar

My Steel Armadillo Bumper & Mods (Matt's version)

Promised Ron i'd start my own... and figured now's a good time to start it so this stuff isn't buried in my garage thread.

First Mod... lighted license plate frame:

To power the plate and maintain a 4-pole plug, I used a 48" loop, cut and spliced the ground & running lights with quick release plugs so I could remove it when taking the bumper off, and tucked everything away nicely.

Next up is a work in progress.... I got the dimensions worked out but the standard gas springs from mcmaster don't provide enough damping. I just sent a few emails out to applications engineers at a few gas spring manufacturers so i'm hoping i'll find an affordable COTS item.

The goal is to control the tire swinging motion, prevent inadvertent closing and limit how far it opens.

The bumper-end is a quick connect so it only takes a second to pop off and swing the carrier to full open.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty mrnavy2's Avatar
    Wow.pretty cool .. but I have a question. I do see online Plug n Play for wiring harness. Which just plugs into your tail lights. How come u did not go that way?
    A Veteran, whether Active Duty, Retired, National Guard, of Reserves, is someone who, at one point in their lives, wrote a check payable to "The United States of America" for a amount of
    "up to and including my Life". That is Honor, and there are way to many people in the country who no longer understand it.

I think you're talking about the trailer light harness which is what I already have. This was a $4 method to tap into that to power my license plate light.

I was having trouble finding a gas spring that damped sufficiently in extension so I went a different route. Since the carrier wants to swing open, I put a 100 lb extension damper on instead.

- It prevents the carrier from swinging open really fast
    - It actually lets the carrier open on it's own, but you can open it quicker
    - It limits the carrier to 90 degrees rotation, but has a quick disconnect to open all the way
    Last edited by Matt; 01-10-2014 at 06:37 PM.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Very Cool.
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Very affordable too

I'm going to try eliminating the bracket and threading a ball directly into the bottom of the carrier; i'm not happy with the strength of the bracket and I think it will also look cleaner.

If the direct threads don't work, a rivet nut might be an option to increase the surface area and add more threads. I'll beat it up for a bit and find out.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty pjmjr508's Avatar
    looking great
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Senior Member Getting Dirty The_War_Wagon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pjmjr508 View Post
    looking great
    GOTTA second that. Since putting the multicarrier on my RC, I want one - BADLY - on my Jeep!!!
    '07 Jeep Commander, Rocky Mountain Edition - 287 V-8 - Superchipped - aFe Stage II R-5A CAI - Flowmaster Super 44 - 2" Daystar lift - Spidertrax spacers - 32x10.5x17 Cooper A/T's - Fastman throttlebody - Skyjacker 8000 shocks

Ok I got a better video up. Uploading pics now too so I can show some closer details. Really happy with how this add-on turned out.

Here's the "Details" I posted on youtube...

The ball bearing hinge on the tire carrier not only swings open fast, it also rotates well beyond 180 degrees which is not always desirable (especially when parked on the street where it may swing into traffic).

This upgrade enables the user to open the tire carrier. Although it's not a spring, the tire still opens under it's own power, or you can make it open faster by moving it yourself.

For ease of closing it only damps during extension. While closing there's enough resistance to prevent it from slamming, but not enough to make it difficult.

Lastly, the bumper-end of the damper has a quick release for those times when you do want it to open 180 degrees (such as loading groceries in the parking lot like all of us Commander owners do)

EDIT: ... i really should've ordered a large hoodie! lol

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information