Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Steel Armadillo Bumper & Mods (Matt's version)

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Some more pictures. It's pretty much hidden from the rear and not in the way once its open.

Last edited by Matt; 01-10-2014 at 06:29 PM.

And another upgrade.... the wheel studs that come with the tire kit aren't long enough if you're adding a bike carrier.

Problem solved.

Senior Member Getting Dirty The_War_Wagon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Ok I got a better video up. Uploading pics now too so I can show some closer details. Really happy with how this add-on turned out.
    I should talk to you about building a damper for the multicarrier on my RC... although it'll need to be a LOT stronger! I'm totin' a 36x15x10 mounted wheel, a 5 gal, jerry can, and a hi-lift jack on MY carrier!!! I dare say the box steel IN the carrier is a heavier gauge as well.
    '07 Jeep Commander, Rocky Mountain Edition - 287 V-8 - Superchipped - aFe Stage II R-5A CAI - Flowmaster Super 44 - 2" Daystar lift - Spidertrax spacers - 32x10.5x17 Cooper A/T's - Fastman throttlebody - Skyjacker 8000 shocks

It probably doesn't have to be much stronger. It's all about controlling inertia. Though it wouldn't be hard to set up a dual piston design using the same parts I did

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Amazing job, I should put you on the R & D payroll!
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

In due time

I'd be happy with a window decal for now though

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty 1USMC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Very affordable too

I'm going to try eliminating the bracket and threading a ball directly into the bottom of the carrier; i'm not happy with the strength of the bracket and I think it will also look cleaner.

If the direct threads don't work, a rivet nut might be an option to increase the surface area and add more threads. I'll beat it up for a bit and find out.

Great Idea Matt !! Let us know how the ball mounting works. I'm always unloading emergency equipment from the back of mine and sometimes I'm not parked on a very level surface. I use a bungee cord from my spare tire to my L Rear wheel to hold it open. Not always convenient and I don't always want, as you mentioned to have it open all the way . Look'n Good !!
    Last edited by 1USMC; 01-13-2014 at 12:25 PM.
    2010 Limited > 5.7 > Pearl Black > QDII > 4" Superlift w-SSR > Bilstein HD Struts + 1/4" spacer > RCV cv Axles > JBA 6" Springs + Matt's 1/2" Spacer > BDS adj LCA > 285-65-18 Nitto Trail Grappler MT's > Moto Metal 951 > K&N CAI > Flowmaster 50 > 4xGuard-Front/Belly skids + Grill Hoop w/ Front Receiver + Rear Diff. Guard > PIIA 520 ATP > Front Camera > Steel Armadillo's Rear Bumper/Tire/ Blitz Carrier/Super Sliders +Secure Console > Dual Batteries > OBA > JKS Rear-JBA Front Discos > FlashPaq

Will do Ron.

If we get some nice weather this coming weekend ill try to do some testing on uneven ground. We'll see how the extension damper works against gravity and such.

I'd also like to find a way to lock it open for those situations where the vehicle is leaning in a way where the carrier wants to close. (Im thinking something like a bicycle kickstand if I cant spec out a lockable extension damper)

Edit- there are bi-directional dampers but the cost was significantly higher. I dont think they'll prevent the carrier from closing but it will at least provide a slow/controlled compression for such cases
    Last edited by Matt; 01-13-2014 at 07:29 AM.

Here's another video. Got on a pretty good angle and it still works great!

I'm going to have to stall the latch prototyping. Had to buy a new vehicle this past weekend so we're on a "necessity only" budget until I figure out our new budget and if I'm going to have to change savings/retirement input.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty 06JeepXKHEMI's Avatar
    Man that thing looks great and I usually dont like the rear tire carriers... How much extra clearance did you gain with departure angles or dont you know yet
    2K6 Limited Jeep Green Metallic/Saddle Brown Leather XK HEMI QDII Old Man Emu HD Suspension w/ Fox Emulsion 2.0 Rear Shocks 1.5" SpiderTraxx Wheel Spacers 265/70 GoodYear MTRs w/Kevlar True Dual Exhuast w/IMCO 50 K&N 63 CAI Diablo 91/Performance Transmission Tuned SA Belly Skid MOPAR Gas Tank Skid, Transfer Case Skid, Suspension Skid Front Tow Hooks 6k HID Lows/3k Fogs

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information