Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Clunk & Popping sound

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty pjmjr508's Avatar

Clunk & Popping sound

I have been dealing with trying to resolve a clunking/popping sound I have been having & it sounds like it is in the front suspension. I will get the sound when I take off at a dead stop or when I go to apply the brakes. I swear I can feel it clunk on the drivers side floor board.

I'm sure it's not the brakes because I had the clunk/popping sound before did all that work & after I got done with the last alignment after all the work I did not hear the noise. Then about a week or so later it was back.

Unsure if it the steering rack. I can sit in one place & go lock to lock & not have a sound.

What I have done to try and fix or resolve the issue so far is;
    Replaced the BJ's upper & lower both sides
    Added the JBA UCA's @ the sametime as the OME, 6 months ago.
    Have the OME HD Front struts & springs are less than a yr old
    replaced the LCA's 2012
    replaced the inter & outer tie rod ends

Everything is tight

Your thoughts.
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    How are the front diff bushings?

Make sure your subframe and skid plate bolts are all tight.

Senior Member Getting Dirty stites-xk's Avatar
    Have you checked your front sway bar links. Mine were clucking really bad. Took them off and no clunking.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    Back in the day I had the same issue your having. Mine turned out to be the drivers side inner tie rod. Once replaced the noise went away. But you said you replaced yours. Hmmmm
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Senior Member Getting Dirty lekmedm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    How are the front diff bushings?
    On FB he said they've all been replaced.

Sent from wherever my Jeep takes me.
    2007 Commander Overland / 4" SuperLift / 285/70R17 Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx / Rusty's adjustable rear UCAs / Carolina Driveline front drive shaft / Flashpaq / DRLs & Tilting Mirrors / Autolite Iridiums / Cobra 29LX Chrome LE CB & Firestik antenna / Rear fog lights / Mopar Grille Guard with HID driving lights
    "4 wheel drive does not mean 4 wheel stop!" -Lee Goldberg, WABC TV weatherman

Yes I forgot to mention I had replaced the front diff bushings.
    I will be putting it on jack stands tomorrow for a few days. During this time will be pulling the front & rear sway bars along the links for 2 reasons. First to see if it was making the noises & second to see how well it drives without them.
    also will be pulling the rotors to have them turned and replacing the front & rear pads.
    Unfortunately it will sit on jack stands for close to a week. The brakes I ordered are coming from 2 warehouses. One in So Ca & the other is in KS. Nothing is moving out of there right now. I ordered the Yellow Stuff EBC Pads.
    http://ebcbrakes.com/product/yellows...rt-brake-pads/
    Already have the dimpled & slotted rotors.
    http://ebcbrakes.com/product/3gd-sport-rotors/
    They work really well for stopping this big beast. Last time I used the greenstuff, this time going with the yellow to see which I like best.
    Also while it is in the air I will be able to go over the undercarriage and the suspension.

Am I safe to think since I can turn the wheel lock to lock and back without any noises, that it is not the rack that is making the noises?
    Last edited by pjmjr508; 01-07-2014 at 01:20 AM.
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

I wouldn't have "throw away" rotors turned. Rotors aren't made like they were back in the day. Just buy new ones as they are meant for one time use.
    Last edited by 07JeepXK; 01-07-2014 at 05:47 AM.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Quote Originally Posted by 07JeepXK View Post
    I wouldn't have "throw away" rotors turned. Rotors aren't made like they were back in the day. Just buy new ones as they are meant for one time use.

This is what on their site about turning them
    "EBC recommends highly the Pro Cut on car brake lathes at your disc."
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Wait you already have EBC slotted and dimpled rotors? I must have missed that. I was referring to cheap rotors you buy from a local auto parts store.

Yes, I put them on when I went to the EBC pads, if I remember right late 2012.
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information