Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with factory cross bars

Junior Member Looking for Dirt

Help with factory cross bars

I was wondering if anyone has modified their roof rails to allow the front cross bar to move more forward beyond the first notch. it seems like it should be easy to cut a new notch with a dremel. can anyone think of a reason not to? any possible down side? i want to get the most spread between bars as possible for stability of long items up there. especially because i cant move my back bar all the way back because it messes with the SAT reception
    2006 XK Limited 5.7L Deep Beryl Green, OME HD, Sahara Wheels, DiabloSport Intune Programer

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    I dont see any reasons you couldn't add a notch. ... give it a shot

Senior Member Getting Dirty lekmedm's Avatar
    I wonder how structural support runs under the roof.
    2007 Commander Overland / 4" SuperLift / 285/70R17 Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx / Rusty's adjustable rear UCAs / Carolina Driveline front drive shaft / Flashpaq / DRLs & Tilting Mirrors / Autolite Iridiums / Cobra 29LX Chrome LE CB & Firestik antenna / Rear fog lights / Mopar Grille Guard with HID driving lights
    "4 wheel drive does not mean 4 wheel stop!" -Lee Goldberg, WABC TV weatherman

The rail mounting goes beyond where the crossbar could go even with another notch.

I have my custom rails at the front & rear limits and they're solid. Ive stood up there while tying down two tires, so well over 200lb. I think he's good from a structural perspective

im really not too worried about it structurally either, it just seems strange that it wasnt made to go further from the factory. ill give it a go this weekend and report back. hey Matt, what are you using for your custom bars? any pics?
    2006 XK Limited 5.7L Deep Beryl Green, OME HD, Sahara Wheels, DiabloSport Intune Programer

Matt, i had the idea to use unistrut also. i gave up after i couldn't find a decent mounting system to the rail because of the angle built in to it. i just looked through your thread which reminded me that i had seen it before. you did a really good lob. i think i may change my strategy a little, and try to find a wider basket and mount it right to the rail, skipping the crossbars all together. i noticed your basket extends back pretty far. doesn't that kill your SAT reception?

I don't use satellite radio. Had it on my previous truck and didnt like it enough to pay for it.

Check out the roof rack thread - the defender racks mount directly to the rail

Senior Member Getting Dirty Ross's Avatar
    When I made some DIY crossbars, the mounting system consisted of a long grade 8 bolt with a threaded coupler to act as spacer between crossrail and roof mount rail. Under the coupler, I placed a large, thick spacer on top and inside the mount rails, and just put a locking nut on the end of the bolt in the mount rail. There are many options for the rails themselves if you just go to Home depot. In fact I got all my supplies in the same isle.
    Last edited by Ross; 01-10-2014 at 09:46 AM.
    2008 3.7L QT-1 dark blue Jeep Commander // 3+" modified OME lift with 3/8" Rocky Road strut spacer // 4" rear SL springs // 265/70/17 Goodyear Duratracs (Load E) // 1.5" spidertraxx spacers // F-150 Monroe Load Levelers // 4xguard matrix, front guard, belly guard, and rock sliders // 130 watt KC Daylighters - 2 // Airflow snorkel // Thrush welded exhaust // Defender Roof Rack with side ladder // Hypertech Max Energy Programmer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information