Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: oh crap whats that noise

Senior Member Getting Dirty jjt250's Avatar
    So I doesn't happen when you're breaking traction, only when you give it a bit of gas? Maybe the reason I never hear it is because I plug my Jeep in over night (diesel) and I also let it warm up for about ~10 minutes before I actually leave and start driving.
    John
    2007 Grand Cherokee Limited | QDII | 3.0L Diesel | S4xC Shackles Mounts | Goodyear Duratracs
    Bilstein HD Front/Rear | Rusty's 1/2" Strut Spacer | Hemi XK Front/Rear Coils | HID Projectors

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Yup, only when accelerating.

My jeep was running for at least 15 minutes yesterday before I drove it.
    Last edited by Matt; 01-23-2014 at 04:11 AM.

Member Looking for Dirt
    i posted this question on another non XK forum. one of the guys there runs a repair shop, he said he had just replaced a half shaft on the drivers side on a 07WK for a simular noise. the guy brought it in during the last cold spell becuase the CV was poping and cracking on acceleration. overall he said the shaft was in good shape and felt fine. after he replaced it about 60% of the noise when away " enought to here the passanger side". my turck has 90k on it do you think this could be an early warning sign of wareing CV's?

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Funny you mentioned that... I was just coming to post a similar conclusion.

My garage was about 48 degrees this morning. Pulled out onto my street and hit the gas pretty good.... the noise was no where near as bad as yesterday, but I did hear it faintly on the drivers side only. By the time I got to the end of my street I couldn't reproduce it.

The only thing I could think of is the CV joint. The sockets wear, add in extreme cold temps that open the tolerances a bit more and thickened grease that needs to warm up....

I wouldn't go so far as to replace them. Wait until they're clicking/popping during normal driving and tight turns. ... and take some lead out of your boots until the jeep warms up lol

Senior Member Getting Dirty criket's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Funny you mentioned that... I was just coming to post a similar conclusion.

My garage was about 48 degrees this morning. Pulled out onto my street and hit the gas pretty good.... the noise was no where near as bad as yesterday, but I did hear it faintly on the drivers side only. By the time I got to the end of my street I couldn't reproduce it.

The only thing I could think of is the CV joint. The sockets wear, add in extreme cold temps that open the tolerances a bit more and thickened grease that needs to warm up....

I wouldn't go so far as to replace them. Wait until they're clicking/popping during normal driving and tight turns. ... and take some lead out of your boots until the jeep warms up lol
    I always wait til there isn't anymore grease flying from a ripped CV boot before I replace it, lol. Just kidding.
    SOLD - 2005 | WK | Khaki | 3.7 | QT1 | OME HD Front Struts | Rusty's 2" lift in Rear w/ Monroe load levelers (F150 version) | 265/70 Nitto Terra Grapplers | 17" Moabs | 1.5" wheel spacers | Pinch weld mod | Rear fender trim mod | 4xG Matrix w/ reciever hitch | 4xG Belly guard | SOLID Diff cover | Cobra CB radio | 4xG CB radio antenna mount

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Core XK's Avatar
    Im not replacing anything until it starts to get much worse during normal weather conditions.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    2010 Silver HEMI XK QTII

My Garage: http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...re-XK-s-Garage

Senior Member Getting Dirty criket's Avatar
    I guessed I set myself up after my above post. Yesterday morning it was 7 degrees outside and mine started clicking in the front under hard accel. Oh well.....
    SOLD - 2005 | WK | Khaki | 3.7 | QT1 | OME HD Front Struts | Rusty's 2" lift in Rear w/ Monroe load levelers (F150 version) | 265/70 Nitto Terra Grapplers | 17" Moabs | 1.5" wheel spacers | Pinch weld mod | Rear fender trim mod | 4xG Matrix w/ reciever hitch | 4xG Belly guard | SOLID Diff cover | Cobra CB radio | 4xG CB radio antenna mount

Member Looking for Dirt
    its that time of year again. I thought id bump this for any new members. even with new half shafts it sounds like rice crispys (snap crackle pop) up front

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information