Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: oh crap whats that noise

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    i get the same thing but its when its snowing or wet out and i cut the wheel trying to turn- it makes the ice crusher sound and i can kind of feel it in my steering wheel. i figured it was traction control kicking on BUT i got tired of that kicking on last night so i turned it off and it was still making it just NOT as bad.

i was wondering if its fluid related, or the tires rubbing the hell out of the fender liner, idk. it sounds horrible.
    2007.5 WK Laredo
    - OEM+ -

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paroxysym View Post
    i get the same thing but its when its snowing or wet out and i cut the wheel trying to turn- it makes the ice crusher sound and i can kind of feel it in my steering wheel. i figured it was traction control kicking on BUT i got tired of that kicking on last night so i turned it off and it was still making it just NOT as bad.

i was wondering if its fluid related, or the tires rubbing the hell out of the fender liner, idk. it sounds horrible.
    Unless you have a switch wired up to the ABS pump fuse the traction control is not totally disabled and will still make the same noise as if you have the traction control on. I know this because it does it in my jeep, so when it snows I just flip the "happy switch" and totally disable traction control/ABS/ESP
    Last edited by 07JeepXK; 01-22-2014 at 02:13 PM.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    Quote Originally Posted by 07JeepXK View Post
    Unless you have a switch wired up to the ABS pump fuse the traction control is not totally disabled and will still make the same noise as if you have the traction control on. I know this because it does it in my jeep so when I snows I just flip the happy switch and totally disable traction control.
    so even when i hold the ESP button for 6+ seconds and it says "ESP OFF" its not off? i did that last night and it was fine.
    2007.5 WK Laredo
    - OEM+ -

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    The brake traction control activation is never turned off. When you turn ESP off its different levels of throttle control that are eliminated; such as wheel spin when accelerating and throttle cutoff when sliding sideways.

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    The brake traction control activation is never turned off. When you turn ESP off its different levels of throttle control that are eliminated; such as wheel spin when accelerating and throttle cutoff when sliding sideways.
    Unless you have a switch to the ABS pump fuse like I have :0)
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Quote Originally Posted by 07JeepXK View Post
    Unless you have a switch to the ABS pump fuse like I have :0)
    Which doesn't do anyone any good unless they have lockers like you do or want 1 wheel peel offroad

Just went for a spin and heard the noise too! Interesting i've never heard that before... but I can't remember the last time my Jeep sat outside in that cold, and I normally don't hit the gas that hard to accelerate.

Will have to see if it does it tomorrow morning after sitting in the garage all night.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty 06JeepXKHEMI's Avatar
    Has to be something a long the lines of ice melting off bottom engine while driving and when you stop it drips on some of the suspension/drivetrain and freezes. I never really heard anything like that, except making turns which is the ESP, mainly cause of my exhaust being loud. I always cleaned underneath it though like every 2-3 days, max! Id say everyone take it to the wash and spray the underside thoroughly and see what happens. Salt is some nasty **** especially mixed with snow, ice, dirt, oil etc..
    2K6 Limited Jeep Green Metallic/Saddle Brown Leather XK HEMI QDII Old Man Emu HD Suspension w/ Fox Emulsion 2.0 Rear Shocks 1.5" SpiderTraxx Wheel Spacers 265/70 GoodYear MTRs w/Kevlar True Dual Exhuast w/IMCO 50 K&N 63 CAI Diablo 91/Performance Transmission Tuned SA Belly Skid MOPAR Gas Tank Skid, Transfer Case Skid, Suspension Skid Front Tow Hooks 6k HID Lows/3k Fogs

Yeah it's gotta be ice built up somewhere. Any deposits will melt off tonight in the garage and I'll see if it does tomorrow night after it sits outside for 13+ hours without any source for ice.

It sounds nothing like ESP kicking in btw.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty mrnavy2's Avatar
    I drove all day. Left my apartment in NJ at 0800 drove to JFK and back and had NO noise . Ran beautiful. Temp at 0800 was 6 degrees.
    A Veteran, whether Active Duty, Retired, National Guard, of Reserves, is someone who, at one point in their lives, wrote a check payable to "The United States of America" for a amount of
    "up to and including my Life". That is Honor, and there are way to many people in the country who no longer understand it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information