Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: oh crap whats that noise

Senior Member Getting Dirty jjt250's Avatar
    Hmmm from what I've read, it sounds like traction control/ESP but maybe I'm just understanding wrong. As far as turning it off...traction control and ESP are ALWAYS on to some degree at low speeds. Holding it turns it mostly off but there are times when it will still kick in. And of course it goes back to partially off above 45 MPH I think. So like Adam said, only way to completely get rid of it is to rig up a switch like his. You should see what it's like turning off TC/ESP on my mom's ML320 CDI...the button does basically nothing at all to turn it off.
    John
    2007 Grand Cherokee Limited | QDII | 3.0L Diesel | S4xC Shackles Mounts | Goodyear Duratracs
    Bilstein HD Front/Rear | Rusty's 1/2" Strut Spacer | Hemi XK Front/Rear Coils | HID Projectors

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    It's definitely not traction control... i know what that sounds like and it's not even close.

*talking about the noise Corey and John are hearing... assuming that's what i heard today.

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Which doesn't do anyone any good unless they have lockers like you do or want 1 wheel peel offroad
    Yeah one wheel peel isn't cool. And that my friend is why I have front/rear lockers!
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Just went for a spin and heard the noise too! Interesting i've never heard that before... but I can't remember the last time my Jeep sat outside in that cold, and I normally don't hit the gas that hard to accelerate.

Will have to see if it does it tomorrow morning after sitting in the garage all night.
    It's -5 out where I live and my jeep isn't making the noise you guys are talking about. I feel left out lol
    Last edited by 07JeepXK; 01-22-2014 at 06:34 PM.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Member Looking for Dirt
    please don't feel left out is is not a nice sound.
    So as far as the ice build up theory goes im not sold. my drive to and from work is only about 4 miles each way. but giving the theory a chance I though id try to break it loose before I left work today. before I pulled out of the parking lot I held the brake and put it in gear and torqued up the mounts forward and back and let it roll a bit then hit the brakes hard to flex off any ice. I left the parking lot and once I was straight on the road, accelerated and there it was again. sounds just like im feeding an ice crusher to make a slushy. by the time I get to my street it usually will not do it anymore but there is a nice icy patch in front of the house. so just to hear the sound of the track control is stopped and jumped on it a bit, that is defenatly a different sound.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    ^^That's kind of what I was planning on testing out tomorrow.

Yesterday i was driving through snow and some deep plow piles for fun, so I know i had a lot of snow packed under my engine that could have melted and turned to ice chunks. Being in my garage tonight that'll ALL be gone and i was going to see if the noise comes back after not having any snow/ice in the drivetrain.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Core XK's Avatar
    Yeah keep us updated. Im not really concerned its a problem considering all 3 of us are hearing it besides Adam but he doesnt count because he has 34s and I dont like him.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    2010 Silver HEMI XK QTII

My Garage: http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...re-XK-s-Garage

Senior Member Getting Dirty jjt250's Avatar
    I don't think I have ever heard something like that then...It'll be -20 with windchill here tomorrow so I'll see if I can hear anything. Maybe one of the guys with this problem could post up a video of the sound to help us understand better.
    John
    2007 Grand Cherokee Limited | QDII | 3.0L Diesel | S4xC Shackles Mounts | Goodyear Duratracs
    Bilstein HD Front/Rear | Rusty's 1/2" Strut Spacer | Hemi XK Front/Rear Coils | HID Projectors

Senior Member Getting Dirty thance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jjt250 View Post
    I don't think I have ever heard something like that then...It'll be -20 with windchill here tomorrow so I'll see if I can hear anything. Maybe one of the guys with this problem could post up a video of the sound to help us understand better.
    Mine does it on really cold days before it warms up. I have noticed it 2 or 3 times this season. Don't have to be on the gas too hard but not real light either. Goes away as soon as i let up on the gas and wait for it to wrm up. I don't think it has ever done it before this year, but this is a colder winter than we have had in a while.
    2010 5.7 QTII - OME HD w/ 3/8" spacers up front and F150 MLL in rear, JBA UCA 6.7, JKS 2034 Front Quick Disconnects, Gas Tank Skid Mod, PinchWeld Mod, 1.5" SpiderTrax, General Grabber AT 265/70/17, Custom Front Receiver / Plow Mount, Custom Tow Rings F/R, Diablo Intune.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Core XK's Avatar
    I will see if I can do a video tomorrow morning on my way to work.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    2010 Silver HEMI XK QTII

My Garage: http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...re-XK-s-Garage

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information