Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DTC codes, vehicle running rough

Member Looking for Dirt

DTC codes, vehicle running rough

So, today I went for a little drive in the jeep. While going at slow speeds, around 45 mph, I noticed it was running really rough and thought it was getting ready to stall. Luckily I was about to get back to house and used my scanner and got the following codes:

P0171 - Fuel system 1/1 Lean
    P0174 - Fuel system 2/1 Lean
    P0307 - cylinder 7 misfire
    P2096 - Downstream fuel trim system 1 lean
    P2099 - Downstream fuel trim system 2 Rich

First thing I did was check my plugs. They were awful. I replaced all my plugs and that seemed to clear the P0307, P2096 and P2099. Well at least they haven't came back yet.

After replacing the plugs, I took it for a drive. After about 20 mins, and driving slow 45 - 50 mph the vehicle started running rough and felt as if it was going to stall. When I checked the codes again, the codes present were the P0171 and P0174.

I checked my fuel pressure and had 56 psi.

Umm, not really sure if I am looking at a fuel pump problem or an exhaust leak. The only reason why I mention the exhaust leak is I have a leak at one of my exhaust manifolds. You can hear the ticking sound.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    2006 Jeep Commander Limited, 4.7L, QDII, 4" Superlift Supension Lift, Procomp Xtreme Mud Terrain Tires 285 70R17, Mickey Thompson Classic ii Wheels 17X9, AEM Brute Force CAI, Superchip flashpaque, 4XGuard belly guard, 4XGuard Front Guard, Rear Grab handles and Defender Roof Rack.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Your fuel pressure is on the low end of the tolerance but definitely not bad.

What flashpack tune and fuel grade are you using?

Member Looking for Dirt
    91 performance and I run 93 octane
    2006 Jeep Commander Limited, 4.7L, QDII, 4" Superlift Supension Lift, Procomp Xtreme Mud Terrain Tires 285 70R17, Mickey Thompson Classic ii Wheels 17X9, AEM Brute Force CAI, Superchip flashpaque, 4XGuard belly guard, 4XGuard Front Guard, Rear Grab handles and Defender Roof Rack.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    I'd return it to stock, disconnect the battery and run a tank or two of regular through it just to rule out any issues with messing with fuel tables.

Member Looking for Dirt
    Thanks for the idea Matt. So what I did this morning was return it back to stock tune. I rechecked the fuel pressure with the vehicle running this time and got 59 psi. The previous reading was with the ignition set to run. I have taken it for a couple test runs, interstate and country roads varying speeds from 45 up to 80. No codes have reappeared and I'm getting a lot better gas milage. Before with the tune installed I average 11 and 12 mpg, with stock tune it jumped up to 15 and 16 mpg. Only time will tell though. The plugs I removed were the worst I've ever seen, they have only been installed for about 30,000 miles. I'm wondering if running the 91 performance tune caused all my plugs to foul. If anything changes, I will keep everyone informed. Thanks for the help.

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    Hmmm I have an 07 4.7 liter and just hit 150,000 miles today. I have been running the 91 performance tune for well over 3 years with either 91 or 93 octane gas and haven't had any issues! What plugs do you use. I've found out that the OEM champions work best for my jeep. I'm getting almost 13 mpg city and I'm running 305/70R17's. This weekend on a 6 hour drive to play Army I got up to 16.8 mpg with cruise set to 65 mph.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Member Looking for Dirt
    I was using the OEM ones. It was just wierd how fouled they were. Don't really understand why. Only thing I could think of is because of the tune. I will drive around on the stock tune for a while and keep checking them.

How long have you been running the tune?
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Member Looking for Dirt
    Right around 4 years now.

So why would it just start running bad and getting codes if you have been running that tune for 4 years
    Last edited by 07JeepXK; 02-11-2014 at 05:45 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information