Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Bummer re: front skid install

Member Looking for Dirt

Big Bummer re: front skid install

Guys,

Not looking for help, just a place to vent. Bought JBA UCAs and on a whim, added the front skid to my order. Everything came yesterday, and I had a free hour, so I figured I'd toss the front skid on no problem.

Unfortunately, once I had the airdam off, I noticed the brackets didn't line up like they should. They were longer one the passenger side, and shorter on the driver side. It looks like that front U-shaped piece in my jeep (engine cradle?) was bent worse than thought in its last accident. I haven't even contacted Marlin yet, but I'm hoping he'll take it back and give me credit towards something else.

Are any of you guys running the SA skid? If so, how does it mount to the vehicle? I'm guessing if anything is bent like that I don't have any real options for skids.

Just flat sucks.

Ryan

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    That sucks man... how far off is it? Can't modify it at all?

Pretty sure Jon's front end was messed up pretty good in an accident too- so if his skids work on his hopefully they'll be good on yours. I'm sure he'll chime in

Member Looking for Dirt
    Thanks Matt. On the driver's side its off by at least an inch. Passenger side I could drill/thread new holes. Gonna shoot Jon a note here soon.

I did get one good thing done today, though. I got the backup camera all hooked up to the mygig and mounted under the 3rd brake light. Looks great and the addition of a backup camera is huge for me.

Member Looking for Dirt
    So, sleeping on it, I'm wondering if it would be OK/Safe to take it all to a shop and have them fab up an extension on one side, and tap/mount the bracket on the other side. The holes all line up so that the plate will mount correctly, its just a matter of what it's bolted to. Thoughts?

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Would need to see some pictures but that definitely sounds like an option.

Member Looking for Dirt
    I'll snap a few this week if I get a free minute to tear it all apart again

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    The Steel Armadillo skid attaches to the radiator support and the cross bar behind the motor. My radiator support was pushed back 1" in an accident (and off roading) but the skid still works great. Just needed to drill additional mounting holes for the front attachment points.
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty 06JeepXKHEMI's Avatar
    Ive pulled radiator supports back by strapping it to a tree with a good chain/recovery line and reversing slowly. Its cheaper than having a shop do it just kind of dangerous hahaha
    2K6 Limited Jeep Green Metallic/Saddle Brown Leather XK HEMI QDII Old Man Emu HD Suspension w/ Fox Emulsion 2.0 Rear Shocks 1.5" SpiderTraxx Wheel Spacers 265/70 GoodYear MTRs w/Kevlar True Dual Exhuast w/IMCO 50 K&N 63 CAI Diablo 91/Performance Transmission Tuned SA Belly Skid MOPAR Gas Tank Skid, Transfer Case Skid, Suspension Skid Front Tow Hooks 6k HID Lows/3k Fogs

Member Looking for Dirt
    Thanks for the assistance! Got a call into Marlin about it, depending on how it goes I may be placing an order at SA. Should have listened to Matt the entire time

Senior Member Getting Dirty thance's Avatar
    Are we talking about the Radiator support or the engine cradle???????? If it's the radiator support I suppose you can work around it or possibly even try to bend it back as suggested above, but if it's the engine cradle aren't there much bigger issues at stake than mounting a skid?????
    Last edited by thance; 02-24-2014 at 11:14 AM.
    2010 5.7 QTII - OME HD w/ 3/8" spacers up front and F150 MLL in rear, JBA UCA 6.7, JKS 2034 Front Quick Disconnects, Gas Tank Skid Mod, PinchWeld Mod, 1.5" SpiderTrax, General Grabber AT 265/70/17, Custom Front Receiver / Plow Mount, Custom Tow Rings F/R, Diablo Intune.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information