Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Well, that's it for me...

Senior Member Getting Dirty Adondo's Avatar

Well, that's it for me...

I couldn't help myself. I just bought a very decked out 2014 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon in the color "dune." Or, as the guys here at work call it: "Baby vomit." (Obviously, they're just jealous ) It's heated leather seats (Saddle brown) and power windows and everything else, navigation system, automatic headlights, etc. etc. besides all the Rubicon stuff like Dana 44's at both ends, push button locking axles, (Both) 4:1 crawler transfer case, and push button sway bar disconnect.

I can say the sway bar thing will be worth its weight in gold because I broke a bolt in the XK's bar once. It was NICE off road. After that, if we were heading in for days of off-roading, I'd unbolt one side and bungie the loose end. It was a PITA, but it's nice for trails. You have to be sitting perfect or have a buddy rock the Jeep to get the bind off the bolt, but it does work.

Couple of other cool features are hill decent and hill assist. Even with the paddle shift (What I call it anyway) automatic, (Very much like the XK's) it'll hold a hill for a few seconds until the throttle is applied. No more two-foot gas/brake peddles on steep stuff. The hill decent thing is push a button, and the speed automatically follows the gear selection: 1st limits to 1 MPH, 2nd is 2 MPH, etc. The computer handles what it takes to keep the speed held. The paddle shifter is a bit different than the XK in that while stopped, you can select 1 or 2 on the display. If it's showing 2, then it starts out in 2nd instead of 1st, like when on glare ice or the like when you want low starting torque. Other than that, it's just like the XK with the + and - flipping.

Traded in both the Chrysler 300 and XK for it. Payment wise and with the insurance drop etc. (Loosing a vehicle) it works out to less heading out the door a month despite buying a $43,860 Jeep. (God! What have I done?!?)

WHY?!?

We bought a new Rubi here at work. (Two door) There's a helluva lotta changes in the new ones. My last test drive was 5 years ago when they still had that one-option gas sucking gutless 3.8 V6. The dash is redesigned, no more leg cramming. They're super quiet, more quiet riding than my Chrysler 300 in fact. They've come a long way, baby. The 3.6L Pentistar according to Car & Driver knocks about 8 seconds off the paltry 0-60 time over the older ones. The Unlimited is 7.8 seconds zero to 60. (Not that I've done that yet) Coming back from the dealer, starting out at only 11 miles on the clock, it was getting 19 MPG.

I'll lurk here on the forums, so I'm not abandoning it quite yet. I may even go to Silverton this year, maybe.
    Last edited by Adondo; 02-28-2014 at 10:07 AM.
    2006, 4.7L, QTII, Toyo Wild Country M/T 265/70R17 tires, Ultrasport 175 wheels, Rocky Road 2.25'' lift kit, HID off-road lighting, Surco 50x60 roof rack, Foxwing awning, Superchips performance programming.

Senior Member Getting Dirty thance's Avatar
    Congratulations! Back in 09 when I testdrove an unlimited they were way to clunky and noisy for me, for a daily driver. Maybe it is time for another drive...... but I plan on keeping the '10 xk for a bit longer. I had a Bronce previosely for 14 years, so when I like something I am slow to move on.

Enjoy the new Jeep!
    2010 5.7 QTII - OME HD w/ 3/8" spacers up front and F150 MLL in rear, JBA UCA 6.7, JKS 2034 Front Quick Disconnects, Gas Tank Skid Mod, PinchWeld Mod, 1.5" SpiderTrax, General Grabber AT 265/70/17, Custom Front Receiver / Plow Mount, Custom Tow Rings F/R, Diablo Intune.

Senior Member Getting Dirty lekmedm's Avatar
    Good for you! I have no desire (or means) to get into car payments any time soon. I'll be holding on to the XK until she gives up the ghost, but I think the next one will be a JKU (or who knows what when Fiat gets through with it!).

Enjoy!
    2007 Commander Overland / 4" SuperLift / 285/70R17 Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx / Rusty's adjustable rear UCAs / Carolina Driveline front drive shaft / Flashpaq / DRLs & Tilting Mirrors / Autolite Iridiums / Cobra 29LX Chrome LE CB & Firestik antenna / Rear fog lights / Mopar Grille Guard with HID driving lights
    "4 wheel drive does not mean 4 wheel stop!" -Lee Goldberg, WABC TV weatherman

Senior Member Getting Dirty Ross's Avatar
    Sad to hear you lost the XK, but you sure did it right with the Rubicon! Down the road, my next vehicle will definitely have to have a SFA. I love the old CJ Scramblers and LJ's.
    Last edited by Ross; 02-28-2014 at 12:45 PM.
    2008 3.7L QT-1 dark blue Jeep Commander // 3+" modified OME lift with 3/8" Rocky Road strut spacer // 4" rear SL springs // 265/70/17 Goodyear Duratracs (Load E) // 1.5" spidertraxx spacers // F-150 Monroe Load Levelers // 4xguard matrix, front guard, belly guard, and rock sliders // 130 watt KC Daylighters - 2 // Airflow snorkel // Thrush welded exhaust // Defender Roof Rack with side ladder // Hypertech Max Energy Programmer

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Core XK's Avatar
    Congrats on the Rubicon. It seems like this forum is turning into a last man standing! Lol I know I will be a contender. I still love the WTF looks I get in the XK

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    2010 Silver HEMI XK QTII

My Garage: http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...re-XK-s-Garage

Senior Member Getting Dirty Adondo's Avatar
    It's not like I haven't enjoyed the crap out of the XK, but let's face it, 8 years in the world of electronics and vehicles puts the XK into the Jurassic age.

5 years and 3 months ago when I test drove the Unlimited(s) (tried two of 'em) there were three main deal killers:

A) That 3.8L engine. Crappy mileage AND gutless. 0 to 60 was just under 14 seconds for crying out loud. I could (maybe) live with that if it got 25 MPG.
    B) The intrusive dashboard. Maybe for a normal human, but I'm the same size as William The Refrigerator Perry. Knee cram was an understatement.
    C) A subsonic "whoomping" at freeway speeds. I don't know if it was flexing of the hardtop or what, but that always seems to come up in 2010 and before Unlimited reviews.

There's something to be said about a 73:1 crawl ratio. That's 0.5 MPH in 1st! I thought the almost 3:1 X-fer case in the XK was low.
    Last edited by Adondo; 02-28-2014 at 02:53 PM.
    2006, 4.7L, QTII, Toyo Wild Country M/T 265/70R17 tires, Ultrasport 175 wheels, Rocky Road 2.25'' lift kit, HID off-road lighting, Surco 50x60 roof rack, Foxwing awning, Superchips performance programming.

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    Corey I'm never getting rid of the XK so you have some competition. Oh and I'm buying another one if I can find a 2010 Hemi in white!
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Wont be too long before this is the big-MAC forum (Matt Adam Corey).... my XKs paid off with 60k miles on it; im digging my heels in and not going anywhere for a while!

Adondo- congrats on the new rig. And thank you for being one of the few XK pioneers. Always enjoyed following your mods and adventures

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    You are still welcome at The Ultimate Jeep Summit in Colorado this June!
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Senior Member Getting Dirty lekmedm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Wont be too long before this is the big-MAC forum (Matt Adam Corey).... my XKs paid off with 60k miles on it; im digging my heels in and not going anywhere for a while!
    Waaaaah.... Matt forgot about me!:'(

Sent from wherever my Jeep takes me.
    2007 Commander Overland / 4" SuperLift / 285/70R17 Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx / Rusty's adjustable rear UCAs / Carolina Driveline front drive shaft / Flashpaq / DRLs & Tilting Mirrors / Autolite Iridiums / Cobra 29LX Chrome LE CB & Firestik antenna / Rear fog lights / Mopar Grille Guard with HID driving lights
    "4 wheel drive does not mean 4 wheel stop!" -Lee Goldberg, WABC TV weatherman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information