Thread: Looking to buy another jeep but cant decide

Member Looking for Dirt

Looking to buy another jeep but cant decide

This post might be a little bit of a long one but I'm torn between 2 choices and want some opinions. First off the XK isn't going anywhere, I just want a second Jeep that I can wheel a little harder than I can with the XK and wont be stuck without a vehicle if I break one on the trails. Also want something a little smaller that can maneuver through the tight trails in northern Wisconsin a little easier.

1st option: A guy that's a member of a nearby Jeep club that I'm working on joining is trying to sell a 99 TJ with 104K miles on it. It has a 3" inch lift and he's asking 6500 for it with stock tires in like new condition. For another 900 bucks he's willing to throw in a set of 5 33" duratracks less than a year old also in like new condition. He's also done a lot of work in the last year. New radiator, u joints, exhaust manifold, and I think a couple more things I'm forgetting. It also has a brand new Rampage soft top he hasn't even installed yet. Only selling because he just bought a rubicon on a whim and now owns 4 jeeps and his wife said one has to go. The pros of this option as I see it are: Its ready to hit the trails, and has relatively low miles and I hope it would last a log time. I'd have to use an auto loan through my bank but could easily afford the payments and initial out of pocket cost for my new project would very little. Cons: the guy lives 3.5hrs away so its going to be a pain working out the details of the sale and trying to pick it up when I work the opposite shift as the wife and take care of 3 small kids during the day. It won't fit all five of us if we ever all want to go wheeling together which wouldn't be for quite a while yet anyway. And it also has the stock Dana 35 rear axle that doesn't have a very good reputation from what I've been reading. I could probably do a swap in a year or 2 though.

2nd option: Buying a stock XJ and building it up myself. There's a few for sale in the area from 2500 to 4500 bucks with mileage between 135k AND 188k. Pros of going this route: I really like the XJ and this is what I was planning on doing before the TJ went up for sale. Would have a little more room for the family. Would be fun to build from stock. Can find one closer to home. Cons: I'm going to end up with a higher mileage vehicle and probably cost me more. I would still plan on going through the bank for the jeep and payments would be even lower but out of pocket cost would be much higher. I would at a minimum want to buy a lift, have a local 4X4 shop regear so I can run 33's, and buy the new tires and wheels before I did any wheeling with it and I don't even know when I would be able to afford to do all that.

I think I know what would be the better choice but still need to hear some opinions so I can decide and stop second guessing myself. Thanks Guys.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty 06JeepXKHEMI's Avatar
    Id go with the XJ personally, I recently just got rid of mine. And despite the reviews of the Dana 35 several people wheel them without an issue, its when you start throwing 35s, lockers and do some tough trails that you will run into some issues. There are pros and cons to both, with a family Id do the XJ, I love TJs as well so it wouldnt be a bad option at all, especially considering maintenance is done from the sounds of it. Does the TJ have new gears?! That would be the other thing going to larger tires you'd have to regear that like the XJ
    2K6 Limited Jeep Green Metallic/Saddle Brown Leather XK HEMI QDII Old Man Emu HD Suspension w/ Fox Emulsion 2.0 Rear Shocks 1.5" SpiderTraxx Wheel Spacers 265/70 GoodYear MTRs w/Kevlar True Dual Exhuast w/IMCO 50 K&N 63 CAI Diablo 91/Performance Transmission Tuned SA Belly Skid MOPAR Gas Tank Skid, Transfer Case Skid, Suspension Skid Front Tow Hooks 6k HID Lows/3k Fogs

Senior Member Getting Dirty The_War_Wagon's Avatar

Cool

Your next "Jeep!"

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/4369216244.html How far away could Hillsboro be?

Just break out the checkbook - you'll thank me later.
    '07 Jeep Commander, Rocky Mountain Edition - 287 V-8 - Superchipped - aFe Stage II R-5A CAI - Flowmaster Super 44 - 2" Daystar lift - Spidertrax spacers - 32x10.5x17 Cooper A/T's - Fastman throttlebody - Skyjacker 8000 shocks

Thread Information