Thread: Squeaking rear end

Senior Member Getting Dirty lekmedm's Avatar

Squeaking rear end

So I've been having this high-pitched squeaking coming from the Jeep's rear, and it's driving me nuts! It's been going on since roughly last Fall, but it gave me a break over the winter when it kind of stopped. Now it's back. It also goes away in wet weather like we've had this week in NJ. I thought that it could be associated with the new control arms I have since the SuperLift was installed last year, but I just ran across a TSB concerning rear squeaking. It says to replace the upper spring isolators. I have my doubts that the dealership will do it since the suspension has been modified. Isolators are not expensive either. So, what do y'all think? I guess they should be easy enough to replace. Should I just go ahead and replace all 4? Go with OEM, Moog, Raybestos, or what...?
    2007 Commander Overland / 4" SuperLift / 285/70R17 Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx / Rusty's adjustable rear UCAs / Carolina Driveline front drive shaft / Flashpaq / DRLs & Tilting Mirrors / Autolite Iridiums / Cobra 29LX Chrome LE CB & Firestik antenna / Rear fog lights / Mopar Grille Guard with HID driving lights
    "4 wheel drive does not mean 4 wheel stop!" -Lee Goldberg, WABC TV weatherman

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Get a can of silicone spray. When you hear the squeaking, go spray down all 4 of the spring isolators and see if the noise goes away after a few miles of driving. If the noise doesn't go away, spray the UCA bushings and go for a drive. Repeat process, spraying one component at a time until you isolate what's actually making the noise.

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    My rear end squeaks too lol
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Member Looking for Dirt
    I was in the same boat as you. Mine were induced from my upper control arms. After installing the upper control arms, I couldn't stand the squeaking. I ended up unmounting them and packed them full of grease. So far so good no squeaks.
    2006 Jeep Commander Limited, 4.7L, QDII, 4" Superlift Supension Lift, Procomp Xtreme Mud Terrain Tires 285 70R17, Mickey Thompson Classic ii Wheels 17X9, AEM Brute Force CAI, Superchip flashpaque, 4XGuard belly guard, 4XGuard Front Guard, Rear Grab handles and Defender Roof Rack.

I think Jedi Master Matt did it again...!!! He said he read that the Superlift read sway bar end links may squeak. Well, yesterday I had a chance to have a look. The bottom mount has what I can only describe as a kind of misalignment joint. It looked a tad bit corroded. So I tried my best to shoot some lithium grease in and around there. This morning's commute seemed pretty quiet. I will keep on observing and report back.
    2007 Commander Overland / 4" SuperLift / 285/70R17 Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx / Rusty's adjustable rear UCAs / Carolina Driveline front drive shaft / Flashpaq / DRLs & Tilting Mirrors / Autolite Iridiums / Cobra 29LX Chrome LE CB & Firestik antenna / Rear fog lights / Mopar Grille Guard with HID driving lights

Here is the offending (squeaky) endlink, slathered in grease.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1400635605315.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	36.9 KB 
ID:	2281

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

Wonder if you could thread a better/greasable joint on there for a permanent fix

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Wonder if you could thread a better/greasable joint on there for a permanent fix
    Good question. Do you know of any options? If not, and this continues to be a nuisance, a set of JKS may be in my future.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

I'll sell you mine. Only had them on for a few months...took the sway bar off to clean up and replace bushings but never put it back on.

Quote Originally Posted by Gulf550 View Post
    I was in the same boat as you. Mine were induced from my upper control arms. After installing the upper control arms, I couldn't stand the squeaking. I ended up unmounting them and packed them full of grease. So far so good no squeaks.
    Are you running the SL swaybar endlinks?

(BTW, how's that front drive shaft?)

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I'll sell you mine. Only had them on for a few months...took the sway bar off to clean up and replace bushings but never put it back on.
    I just may take you up on that. We'll have to talk.

Thread Information