Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: half shaft replacment

Member Looking for Dirt

half shaft replacment

ok this sounded easy enough but im stumped. a year and a half ago when I put the lift on the front I got a bit close to the CV joint boot with a torch. needless to say it has finely given up the ghost and is howeling pretty good. so I got together a new drivers side shaft and a new wheel bearing and set out 2 nights ago to replace the said shaft.
    well so far I have everything off and out with the exception of the inner joint cup. I can not get it out of the dif to save my life. am I missing something? is there a C clip on the inside? so far I have tried prying from the back of the cup, crow bars and hammers, pickle forks and the last straw was tonight I borrowed a large slide hammer from Tymac but still have not gotten it to budge. the jeep is an 06 limited with the 4.7 engine.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty pjmjr508's Avatar
    I had the same issue when I snapped mine in half at the joint. I could not get it out for the life of me, so I ended up use a 3k winch on the front of my friends cub cadet tractor & it popped right out. there is no C clip holding it in there (as one that needs to be removed), just a royal PITFA.
    Hope this helps some
    Last edited by pjmjr508; 07-14-2014 at 06:15 PM.
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    The cv shaft does have a c-clip on it that holds it in the front differential.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Member Looking for Dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by 07JeepXK View Post
    The cv shaft does have a c-clip on it that holds it in the front differential.
    are you referring to the "wire " ring in the groove at the end of the shaft? this dose not require opening the cover to get to it correct ?

Member Looking for Dirt
    07JeepXK is right. There is a clip that holds it in place. You do not have to pull the diff cover to remove the axle. It is a pain in the butt to remove it some times.
    2006 Jeep Commander Limited, 4.7L, QDII, 4" Superlift Supension Lift, Procomp Xtreme Mud Terrain Tires 285 70R17, Mickey Thompson Classic ii Wheels 17X9, AEM Brute Force CAI, Superchip flashpaque, 4XGuard belly guard, 4XGuard Front Guard, Rear Grab handles and Defender Roof Rack.

Member Looking for Dirt
    thanks guys. I guess I need to see a man about a Cub then. ill keep you posted

Member Looking for Dirt
    well I don't know anyone with a cub tractor or a 3k winch but then it occurred to me that I have this in the drive

id like to say this worked but at the risk of pulling the XK off the jack stands I backed it off.
    I have given up im putting it back together and taking it to the shop on Monday.
    im hanging my head in shame but life it to damn short

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty pjmjr508's Avatar
    yours is really stuck, let us know what the shop says.
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Member Looking for Dirt
    it will be going over today. to make matters worse as I was working on it I shifted the t-case into neutral thinking it would be easier to turn the shaft as I tried to remove it. now it wont shift back into gear, it just tells me 4wd needs service (no****)
    thank god I have AAA

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by johnr View Post
    it will be going over today. to make matters worse as I was working on it I shifted the t-case into neutral thinking it would be easier to turn the shaft as I tried to remove it. now it wont shift back into gear, it just tells me 4wd needs service (no****)
    thank god I have AAA
    You put the t-case in neutral or the transmission in neutral?
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information