Thread: Lower Control Arms (front)

Member Looking for Dirt XKLover's Avatar

Lower Control Arms (front)

Are there any options out there other than stock stuff? After trying to get that lower strut bolt out for a 2nd time with no success I think I am going to bite the bullet and just replace the LCA's seeing as I'd be replacing the bushings on my stock ones anyways. Old ones are 7 years old with 132K on them. Trying to get new half shafts in and I have to get that bolt out now, the only thing I can see is cutting and torching it out.

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    There is nothing on the market other than OEM replacement lower control arms for the front. What you need to do is use never seize on the bolts and you'll never have that issue again.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

If only they did that in the factory...

OK I'm looking at Rock Auto LCA's and they have 3 different manufacturers in the same price range...Raybestos, Moog, Mevotech...any of them better than the others? I think I saw someone say they replaced factory bushings with Moog, would that make them better?

Quote Originally Posted by XKLover View Post
    OK I'm looking at Rock Auto LCA's and they have 3 different manufacturers in the same price range...Raybestos, Moog, Mevotech...any of them better than the others? I think I saw someone say they replaced factory bushings with Moog, would that make them better?
    MOOG hands down!
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty pjmjr508's Avatar
    I got the mevotech ones after I bent mine, and would not recommend them.
    I have a set of the Raybestos ones waiting to be put in. Seem pretty beefy.
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Thanks, decided to leave factory ones in and I have new bolts and new Moog bushings. Hopefully all goes well this weekend.

Senior Member Getting Dirty lekmedm's Avatar
    I'm running the Raybestos from Rock Auto.
    2007 Commander Overland / 4" SuperLift / 285/70R17 Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx / Rusty's adjustable rear UCAs / Carolina Driveline front drive shaft / Flashpaq / DRLs & Tilting Mirrors / Autolite Iridiums / Cobra 29LX Chrome LE CB & Firestik antenna / Rear fog lights / Mopar Grille Guard with HID driving lights
    "4 wheel drive does not mean 4 wheel stop!" -Lee Goldberg, WABC TV weatherman

Quote Originally Posted by XKLover View Post
    Thanks, decided to leave factory ones in and I have new bolts and new Moog bushings. Hopefully all goes well this weekend.
    That's going to be a lot of work to swap the bushings but if your able to get it done, will be cheaper in the long run. A lot of people just swap out the whole control arm because it's a hell of a lot easier then messing with the bushings. Hopefully you have access to a big hydralic press

We got it done. No press but we made one with a 1/2" threaded rod and washers and a couple big sockets. Put the air gun on them and they pulled 3/4 of the way in. Got the rest with a 2x4 and hammer. Oh and lots of anti seize on the outside and inside of the new bushings!

Thread Information