Thread: Communications Rack

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar

Communications Rack

Well, might as well start making a new mod since I'm back LOL Guess it didn't take to long uh?

Ok, I'm going to make some kind of mount like the lap top mounts that bolt to the floor. Since a few members are running multiple radios and scanners I'll try make this expandable. I'll probably only need to mount one CB for my uses, maybe!

Background info: I have the use of a full welding and fabrication shop including press brakes, pipe benders, every type of welder you can think of and all the raw materials I need. We just got a new lathe delivered today to And if that don't get the job done we have a full machine shop down the hall including CNC machines 3d printers and some equipment I have no idea what it does and looks real complicated to operate LOL I've been in welding class since January and have done every type of welding you can think of already. TIG is by far my favorite and I'm pretty good at it if I do say so myself. Dropping dimes like a boss LOL So tools won't be the problem, my skill level will be the only limiting factor of what we can make.

So post some ideas of what you guys want if anything. Throw some pics drawings what ever you want in here. I need to have a design or at least a starting direction to go in. I figure we need to decide where we want the equipment to sit. Then I can make the pipe bends to be as un-obstructive as possible for passengers and seat travel. My wife won't like hitting her legs on anything either. I can't promise to make one for every member but I can probably make a few without issues. After that who ever wants one will at least have to pay for shipping or I'll just give the design to SA or something like that. I know you can buy mounts and kinda make them work for what we need but those are $200+ and not custom made of the XK. WK guys I don't have one available and AJ won't buy another one LOL If their is a demand I might see what I can do.

Senior Member Getting Dirty The_War_Wagon's Avatar
    I've often thought, that some sort of 'arch' style mount OVER the transmission shifter, would be a GOOD way to mount radios. Gets them up to around eye-level, yet still BELOW the dash level... just getting to the a/c and factory radio controls becomes convoluted then. Nonetheless, I loom forward to your ideas, and how they turn out!
    '07 Jeep Commander, Rocky Mountain Edition - 287 V-8 - Superchipped - aFe Stage II R-5A CAI - Flowmaster Super 44 - 2" Daystar lift - Spidertrax spacers - 32x10.5x17 Cooper A/T's - Fastman throttlebody - Skyjacker 8000 shocks

This should be pretty easy compared to making a shock mount LOL The hard part will be getting the bends correct in the pipe then the rest is pretty simple.

Senior Member Getting Dirty lekmedm's Avatar
    If you're looking for projects, here's something I would suggest. I could never find someone with a break to make this kind of CB antenna mount like for Dodge. You might be able to make a few bucks if guys are interested.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dodge_cb_antenna_mount_3.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	70.5 KB 
ID:	2377
    2007 Commander Overland / 4" SuperLift / 285/70R17 Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx / Rusty's adjustable rear UCAs / Carolina Driveline front drive shaft / Flashpaq / DRLs & Tilting Mirrors / Autolite Iridiums / Cobra 29LX Chrome LE CB & Firestik antenna / Rear fog lights / Mopar Grille Guard with HID driving lights
    "4 wheel drive does not mean 4 wheel stop!" -Lee Goldberg, WABC TV weatherman

Quote Originally Posted by lekmedm View Post
    If you're looking for projects, here's something I would suggest. I could never find someone with a break to make this kind of CB antenna mount like for Dodge. You might be able to make a few bucks if guys are interested.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dodge_cb_antenna_mount_3.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	70.5 KB 
ID:	2377
    You could make that in a regular vise. I'll add that to my list, but you may have to remind me at some point down the road.

Thread Information