Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LEVELING kit - what, EXACTLY, is needed... & recommended?

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Just so you know because some people mounting tires get this wrong. The relationship between the tire and the knuckle bolt (from the UCA ball joint) never changes. So if you mount your tire and it only clears the bolt by 1/8" your good. That distance never changes during suspension or steering travel. The mechanic tried telling me my tires wouldn't fit because it barely cleared that bolt. It was weird explaining to him he was wrong. So if it don't rub on the lift it will never rub.

Here you can see the bolt pointing down. These are bigger tires and would not fit without spacers. I just wanted to give you a visual of the knuckle bolt tire relationship.

Another vote for OME lift kit. For the tires, Discoverer AT3 and Grabber AT2 have 265s.

Senior Member Getting Dirty The_War_Wagon's Avatar

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Sal-XK View Post
    Just so you know because some people mounting tires get this wrong. The relationship between the tire and the knuckle bolt (from the UCA ball joint) never changes. So if you mount your tire and it only clears the bolt by 1/8" your good. That distance never changes during suspension or steering travel. The mechanic tried telling me my tires wouldn't fit because it barely cleared that bolt. It was weird explaining to him he was wrong. So if it don't rub on the lift it will never rub.

Here you can see the bolt pointing down. These are bigger tires and would not fit without spacers. I just wanted to give you a visual of the knuckle bolt tire relationship.
    Thanks for that visual! I appreciate the heads-up from you guys who KNOW the underside of your Commanders, because I DON'T! It's been a DD ever since I got it, so other than maintenance issues - for the most part - I haven't really fiddled with it that much - certainly not in relation to tires and lift.

Last truck I had with coils, was a '79 Bronco... and it only had two! I'll show all this to my mechanic, and we'll plot it all out before we get 'er on the lift.
    '07 Jeep Commander, Rocky Mountain Edition - 287 V-8 - Superchipped - aFe Stage II R-5A CAI - Flowmaster Super 44 - 2" Daystar lift - Spidertrax spacers - 32x10.5x17 Cooper A/T's - Fastman throttlebody - Skyjacker 8000 shocks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information