Thread: did not shut off

Member Looking for Dirt

did not shut off

so went to the walmart tonight in kind of a hurry. I shut it off jumped out locked it with the key fob and ran inside. when I came out I notices that the lights where on and as I got closer I noticed it was running??? looking back I cant say if it shut off or not but both my wife and I are pretty sure it was off(keys in my pocket). anyhow I un locked the jeep put the key in the ignitioin, turned it to the on then off position a few times but it was still running. then with the key in the off position I applied the brake an pulled it into gear and it shut down.
    it has not done it again after 4 stops and starts, anyone here of this before?

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    That is crazy! I think Jeep has a recall on the ignition switch, you might want to look into that.

Member Looking for Dirt
    yeah I was pretty freaked out. I was kind of scared to go to sleep last night wondering if I would wake up with it running lol.
    I got a notice about 6 weeks ago on the ignition recall stating that yes its recalled but they don't know how to fix it yet. I thought that had to do with the posability of hitting the key with your knee and shutting the engine off.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by johnr View Post
    yeah I was pretty freaked out. I was kind of scared to go to sleep last night wondering if I would wake up with it running lol.
    I got a notice about 6 weeks ago on the ignition recall stating that yes its recalled but they don't know how to fix it yet. I thought that had to do with the posability of hitting the key with your knee and shutting the engine off.

That recall is for people hitting it with their knee and accidentally shutting the Jeep off. But if you have lots of stuff hanging from your key and or been hitting the key with your knee, it might of become worn out and caused your issue. This of course is just a guess because I don't recall anyone having this issue before.

Member Looking for Dirt
    well at this point im going to wait until it happens again before I take it in. hopefully they will have figured it out before then. I have about 6 regular sized keys on the ring, cant say what the P.O might have had on it though.
    ill update this thread in if any new events happen.

Thread Information