Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help with list.

Senior Member Getting Dirty Holiday Jones's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal-XK View Post
    Just while moving and mostly noticeable when at least over 40MPH. If I let off the throttle it goes away. I'm the only one that can here by the way LOL My wife think I'm crazy and being OCD over it.
    Mine does the same thing. Right at 40mph there's a hum, but it is directly in proportion to throttle, like it's the motor. I am assuming from posts of those who have added aftermarket exhaust to the MDS hemi that say the motor is actually louder on 4 cylinders than 8 that it's the MDS system coming on. ?? Maybe someone who knows more about that can shed some light on it. But as far as I've read, 40mph is around where the MDS is supposed to engage
    200 Army Green Commander Limited. HEMI. QuadraDriveII!!!! 4xGuard Matrix, 3/4" D-rings, 2" Rough Country Lift, 255/75/17 BFG M/T, 1.25" wheel spacers.

Member Looking for Dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Holiday Jones View Post
    Mine does the same thing. Right at 40mph there's a hum, but it is directly in proportion to throttle, like it's the motor. I am assuming from posts of those who have added aftermarket exhaust to the MDS hemi that say the motor is actually louder on 4 cylinders than 8 that it's the MDS system coming on. ?? Maybe someone who knows more about that can shed some light on it. But as far as I've read, 40mph is around where the MDS is supposed to engage
    That's what I've heard, too. A Diablosport Intune I1000 will run you about $290, and it can download custom tunes from the web and install them on your ECU. Another handy feature is that it can turn off MDS (which a lot of people find to be kind of an annoyance). You might be able to find a shop that will do it for you without buying the device itself. Might be worth turning off your MDS, as a part of your troubleshooting efforts, but be aware that you'll probably see a drop in your MPG.
    If you have custom exhaust and still use MDS, that might cause a drone. I've heard about guys who have deleted their resonator and get an obnoxious drone at highway speeds.
    (I, myself, plan on cutting out the stock muffler and putting in a Flowmaster Super 44; haven't decided on deleting the reso yet, but that's for another thread.)
    Hope I could help, and best of luck!

2005 JGC 5.7L
    stock... for now 😉

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty 06JeepXKHEMI's Avatar
    You can turn the mds off without a tuner. Just by slapping the stick over to left once will keep you out of overdrive and mds and the highest gear you'll be in is 5th. I actually would drive around town with tow/haul mode on to with my Intune my XK would chirp 2nd with MTRs.
    2K6 Limited Jeep Green Metallic/Saddle Brown Leather XK HEMI QDII Old Man Emu HD Suspension w/ Fox Emulsion 2.0 Rear Shocks 1.5" SpiderTraxx Wheel Spacers 265/70 GoodYear MTRs w/Kevlar True Dual Exhuast w/IMCO 50 K&N 63 CAI Diablo 91/Performance Transmission Tuned SA Belly Skid MOPAR Gas Tank Skid, Transfer Case Skid, Suspension Skid Front Tow Hooks 6k HID Lows/3k Fogs

Member Looking for Dirt
    The problem with that method is that you lose overdrive when you're on the highway, so your engine revs a lot higher.

2005 JGC 5.7L
    K&N 57 series CAI
    everything else is stock... for now 😉

Member Looking for Dirt
    Is it hard to change the pcv valve? Lol I have done all the belts and spark plugs already but to be honest I have never even heard of a PCV valve. 😅

Member Looking for Dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Roguecommander View Post
    Is it hard to change the pcv valve? Lol I have done all the belts and spark plugs already but to be honest I have never even heard of a PCV valve. 😅
    Never done it. I think it's just a little plastic thing that screws in place. Honestly, I think changing the PCV valve is more corrective maintenance than it is preventative. But I'm no expert. I gladly defer to anyone who knows more about it than I do.
    Look for a rubber hose coming from your intake tubing or stock air box. It should be your PCV line. Trace it back to the engine and you should find your PCV valve.

2005 JGC 5.7L
    K&N 57 series CAI
    everything else is stock... for now 😉

Member Looking for Dirt
    Thx man. I just went to the jeep dealer and they happened to have one in stock so I got it, and ya it was super easy to put in. But I did notice my gas mileage went up my 1.5-2 mpg so I'm happy. (Even though it was a 65$ piece of plastic)

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Positive Crankcase Ventilation. The real worry is it gets stuck in the closed position not allowing your crank case to vent. It hooks up to the air intake which causes a vacuum to place on the system. This helps vent blow by in the crankcase and is then burned instead of vented. Installing a catch can will trap the oil that is coming out but allow the vapor to continue and be burned. Having one stuck closed I guess could rob you of a little HP in turn robbing you of a little MPG. But that part I'm not sure about.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information