Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coophadley's Garage

Coophadley's Garage

This XK is still a big project but a lot of progress has been made since the beginning. 2007 Jeep Commander - 109k When bought. 5.7L Hemi, QD-II, The full package. Nav, backseat "TV", however, no aux cord.. Hopefully a new stereo w/aux in the future. Don't have a pic from the dealer... But I do have some stock pics... I think..

(insert stock pic)

The jeep sat stock for awhile until about christmas when I ordered my OME HD kit from Kolak (great vendor btw). I also ordered Spidertrax 1.5" wheel spacers. Oh yea, before all that, I also got some JK Rubicon wheels for a steal (100$ for all 5)

Sorry for the phone pic.

Just recently, I sanded them down and ordered the charcoal (dark grey) Plasti dip exclusively from Dipyourcar.com.. you can definitely tell a difference between the black and the dark grey.

I also ordered steel bumpers from Tactical Armor Group. If you are going to get steel bumpers for the XK, either order from steel armadillo or get your own custom made. TAG is a bad group to get involved with. I installed the bumpers when the lift was being installed also. Hopefully soon I can get them bedlined, but thats not a priority right now.

Here's how the bumpers installed: Thanks to NO guide on how to from TAG.

The bumper taken off. All of that metal bar between the two holes in the bumper will be cut off and sanded for the bumpers to be able to mount. If we had not cut that, then there would be no spot for a winch on the bumpers.

Here it is cut and painted just for rust prevention. The black piece right below is where the bumpers mount to.
    Here it is installed:
    However we had some trouble, the hood wouldn't close since we removed the radiator support!. to fix that, we took one of the radiator support bars, heated it, bent it, and cut it. Thankfully, just one was plenty. I don't have a picture of it currently but I'll take one and post it soon. Once that was taken care of, the grill wasn't secure in the bottom. So we took a small metal rail and screwed that into the bumper, and it prevented the grill from moving, I'll take a picture of that too.
    Rear Bumper Install:
    This was much easier than the front. You get to keep the stock tow hitch so that was good. It came with mounting plates that you have to drill into to install underneath the car. Once it gets above 30 degrees, I will go out and take some pictures. Here's with the stock taken off.

I still need to paint the white backup sensors and put them back in. I will post later how TAG intended for the back up sensors to be installed. I just havent had time to take care of that. It took awhile to figure it out though. I'm sure I'm forgetting something so let me know if you have any questions.
    Coming Soon: Hood mount light brackets.. i've heard steel armadillo is making some. I also need Shackle D-Rings, and a WINCH! I'm currently saving up for all that. As a broke 16 year old it could be a while. New Cooper Discoverer STT's in 265/70/17 will be on hopefully sometime within the next two months.
    Pics after the lift and bumper install:

Oh, and I still need to plasti dip all that chrome to black... Not a chrome guy at all.
    *Side note on pictures*- Tried using photobucket since it is apparently more forum-friendly. When I uploaded the picture, the quality didn't seem as good as imgur. any tips on that as well are appreciated.
    Last edited by coophadley; 04-14-2015 at 07:32 PM.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Looks good man! I've heard nothing but bad things said about TAG from everyone who has purchased their bumpers. As far as the photos I don't use that service I use Picasa instead. I don't get an option on file size for upload it just uploads the true image. I can however use links that display smaller memory pics if I want to but I just use the default settings and never had an issue.

Despite the bad business with tag, I am overall Happy with these bumpers. Can't wait for how its gunna look with the tires, winch, and lights. really excited for things to come... Just need to find the money to make all of it happen!
    Also, I hopefully plan on going to Modified OME within the next few months. I am going to do what Omelet did and get another Rusty's .25" spacer and stack that on top in the front. As for the rear, I'm going to cut down an RRO spacer to 1.5". I still need to do more research. If you have any tips or warnings about that it would be appreciated.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Just get 4" superlift springs for the rear... no reason to buy springs and a spacer... just need the springs.

might just have to save up for the whole superlift. We'll see.

Senior Member Getting Dirty The_War_Wagon's Avatar
    Glad your bumper experience ended up working out for you!
    '07 Jeep Commander, Rocky Mountain Edition - 287 V-8 - Superchipped - aFe Stage II R-5A CAI - Flowmaster Super 44 - 2" Daystar lift - Spidertrax spacers - 32x10.5x17 Cooper A/T's - Fastman throttlebody - Skyjacker 8000 shocks

Quote Originally Posted by The_War_Wagon View Post
    Glad your bumper experience ended up working out for you!
    Yes, me too. Lets hope i dont have to have an experience like that again.

Got some bad news.. My tire fund has to be put away for a while.. While we got some ice and snow, I ran into a tree. A bmw cut me off forcing me to swerve off the road. Damage isn't as bad as it could have been. Here's the Carnage:

In one pic you can see where the turn signal is cracked. I was going to order black headlights anyway. I need to get my steel bumpers bent back, b/c if I don't then i can't clear my new tires. The dent isn't that bad. And while I'm at it I might get the bumpers line x'd.
    Last edited by coophadley; 03-14-2015 at 08:00 PM.

Member Looking for Dirt
    That steel bumper definitely saved your azz from any real damage though! Good buy.

true that!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information