Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi all, glad to see the site is functioning!

Member Looking for Dirt

Hi all, glad to see the site is functioning!

Bummer about the Russian hackers. They jacked up my membership acceptance, so I've been waiting for a good couple weeks. I'm glad to finally be able to participate!
    I recently got a 2005 WK with a 5.7L Hemi. Naturally, the first thing I wanted to do to it was give it more power!
    I ordered a K&N 57 series CAI, and just installed it today. I noticed that there's a lot of room for water to come in if I go too crazy with puddles. Has anyone had experience with that? I just want to know my limitations. I won't be going wheeling anytime soon, but if I do, I want to know what she can handle and what she can't.
    Thanks in advance!

p.s. the pcv line that came with the intake would not fit on the intake itself. It fit perfectly on the intake manifold, but not the intake tube. You might be able to see it in the pic. My recommendation: get the metal intake for a little more money (77 series, I think). I bet it fits a lot better.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1425957137502.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	100.5 KB 
ID:	2512

2005 JGC 5.7L
    stock... for now 😉

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Glad you finally made it on! The stock intake is even worse at picking up water. Getting the water dust bag that goes over the intake filter will help with water. So many have hydro locked a motor even I almost did it twice. Now I try to avoid water as much as possible.

Member Looking for Dirt
    Thanks for the reply!
    I vaguely remember hearing something about a water dust bag. Is that a K&N product, or just a general thing you can pick up at a local auto parts store?

2005 JGC 5.7L
    K&N 57 series CAI
    everything else is stock... for now 😉

Quote Originally Posted by Dan.2005WK View Post
    Thanks for the reply!
    I vaguely remember hearing something about a water dust bag. Is that a K&N product, or just a general thing you can pick up at a local auto parts store?

2005 JGC 5.7L
    K&N 57 series CAI
    everything else is stock... for now 
    I know K&N and airflow make one for their intakes. I guess anyone will do but still be cautious with water without a snorkel.

Member Looking for Dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal-XK View Post
    I know K&N and airflow make one for their intakes. I guess anyone will do but still be cautious with water without a snorkel.
    Absolutely. I found one on Amazon that fits my filter for about $35 (K&N RF-1048DK). For now, I'm just going to exercise caution when driving through puddles. My old car had a CAI just above the right wheel well, and once the plastic fell off, I became very wary of puddles.
    Thank you! I'm pretty new to the Jeep community, but you guys might just be the friendliest auto enthusiasts I've run across, and having been a Subaru driver in a former life, that's saying a lot. Most Impreza drivers will even wave to each other just for having a hood scoop.

2005 JGC 5.7L
    K&N 57 series CAI

Super Moderator Getting Dirty
    Welcome to the club, Sorry for the delay.

We don't jump on people around here for asking a question even if it is one that's been asked a lot. Ask away and we will do our best to help you out.

Member Looking for Dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Knappster View Post
    Welcome to the club, Sorry for the delay.
    Thanks for having me! No worries. 😊
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal-XK View Post
    We don't jump on people around here for asking a question even if it is one that's been asked a lot. Ask away and we will do our best to help you out.
    Right on, will do!

2005 JGC 5.7L
    K&N 57 series CAI

Senior Member Getting Dirty Holiday Jones's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan.2005WK View Post
    Absolutely. I found one on Amazon that fits my filter for about $35 (K&N RF-1048DK). For now, I'm just going to exercise caution when driving through puddles. My old car had a CAI just above the right wheel well, and once the plastic fell off, I became very wary of puddles.
    Thank you! I'm pretty new to the Jeep community, but you guys might just be the friendliest auto enthusiasts I've run across, and having been a Subaru driver in a former life, that's saying a lot. Most Impreza drivers will even wave to each other just for having a hood scoop.

2005 JGC 5.7L
    K&N 57 series CAI
    I always wanted a Suby STi, but I'd want to drive it off road too much, and I'd probably break it somehow.lol
    200 Army Green Commander Limited. HEMI. QuadraDriveII!!!! 4xGuard Matrix, 3/4" D-rings, 2" Rough Country Lift, 255/75/17 BFG M/T, 1.25" wheel spacers.

Member Looking for Dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Holiday Jones View Post
    I always wanted a Suby STi, but I'd want to drive it off road too much, and I'd probably break it somehow.lol
    It was just an RS. 2.5L boxer, n/a, about 170 hp, if memory serves. I bought it fully intending to put a turbo on it, but I didn't do enough research. Turns out, it would be cheaper and easier to just do an $8000 sti engine swap than to put a turbo on what I had. By the time I got rid of it, it had 174k miles on it and was overdue for a new head gasket. Replacing the head gasket would have required pulling out the entire engine, which the stealership quoted me, you guessed it, $8000. So I said eff it and decided it was time to get a V-8, lol. My WK Hemi cost me $8500. Not a bad deal for a solid piece of Detroit muscle.

2005 JGC 5.7L
    K&N 57 series CAI

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information