Thread: 5.7L throttle body question

Member Looking for Dirt

5.7L throttle body question

Decisions, decisions...
    I'm trying to figure out which TB gives better performance: the 85mm BBK from Summit, or the 87mm from Moe's Performance.
    Here's what I would like to get: better throttle response off the line, higher low-end power (like around 2000-2500 RPM).
    Has anyone had experience with both or either? Personal preference? Issues with throwing codes?
    Any input would be very much appreciated.
    Thanks in advance!

2005 JGC 5.7L
    K&N 57 series CAI
    everything else is stock... for now 😉

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Bigger means more right! I know awhile back a few guys cleaned, ported and polished theirs and it turned out great. Not sure if it was the placebo effect or not but they reported what your looking for. Just at face value I would say the one from Moe's performance is the one I would go for. Of course a programmer would be a logical step if your going to start upgrading for performance.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty 06JeepXKHEMI's Avatar
    Moe's definitely. As Sal said to really gain benefits grab yourself a tuner, at least straight intake tube and exhaust to compliment the TB. My experience with the hemi is if you're not going forced induction or at least headers, go with the 85. If you are planning that type of mods in future go 87
    2K6 Limited Jeep Green Metallic/Saddle Brown Leather XK HEMI QDII Old Man Emu HD Suspension w/ Fox Emulsion 2.0 Rear Shocks 1.5" SpiderTraxx Wheel Spacers 265/70 GoodYear MTRs w/Kevlar True Dual Exhuast w/IMCO 50 K&N 63 CAI Diablo 91/Performance Transmission Tuned SA Belly Skid MOPAR Gas Tank Skid, Transfer Case Skid, Suspension Skid Front Tow Hooks 6k HID Lows/3k Fogs

Just saw another thread you have an intake.. take a look at my garage where I modified my K&N to prevent water from getting in, worked great
    2K6 Limited Jeep Green Metallic/Saddle Brown Leather XK HEMI QDII Old Man Emu HD Suspension w/ Fox Emulsion 2.0 Rear Shocks 1.5" SpiderTraxx Wheel Spacers 265/70 GoodYear MTRs w/Kevlar True Dual Exhuast w/IMCO 50 K&N 63 CAI Diablo 91/Performance Transmission Tuned SA Belly Skid MOPAR Gas Tank Skid, Transfer Case Skid, Suspension Skid Front Tow Hooks 6k HID Lows/3k Fogs

Member Looking for Dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by 06JeepXKHEMI View Post
    Just saw another thread you have an intake.. take a look at my garage where I modified my K&N to prevent water from getting in, worked great
    Will do.

Thanks for input, everyone!
    I definitely plan on getting a tuner. Diablosport i1000, to be precise.
    The TB and tuner are for the future. My next planned mod is the exhaust, from the headers all the way back. I'd like to go true dual, too. I'm going to take it to a shop tomorrow to get a quote on full exhaust. I expect it to be around $1000. Any more than $1500, and I'll probably opt for a 3" catback system instead.
    I hope that shop also does tuning. It would be rather handy if I could just have them tune it the way I want it without my having to spend nearly $400 on the i1000.

2005 JGC 5.7L
    K&N 57 series CAI

Member Looking for Dirt
    I checked it out. Definitely a good idea. Cheaper than the K&N filter cover, too! Lol

2005 JGC 5.7L
    K&N 57 series CAI

A true dual set up shouldn't cost you 1k, if it does find a new shop!!! And the Hemi already comes with hi-flow cats so it'd be a waste replacing them. I've done so much research on the hemi and how mods will improve it. Sure headers, aftermarket hi-flow cats true dual set up will be sick but without replacing the headers no sense on replacing the cats. Best thing to do is go from cat back true dual like I did. I got a dual in dual out muffler for back pressure and scavenging to help get rid of rasp and it sounded great. I also had the Intune which I used the canned tunes and modified the tune myself, I changed shift point on 1-2 to hold the gear a tad longer pushed redline to 5900 which is right before the numbers drop off in the hemi. Then I changed the throttle boast to 17% which takes the delay off when you hit the throttle. I had stock TB, but an upgrade is always nice.
    As for the intake mod, super easy but definitely effective, let me know if you need any pointers on this

Member Looking for Dirt
    I sent you a pm. 😊

2005 JGC 5.7L
    K&N 57 series CAI

Thread Information