Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 5.7L Hemi stroker

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty 06JeepXKHEMI's Avatar
    In addition, with Jeeps like the XK you want usable power meaning low end. With a bigger cam youll lose low end but gain top end. Going with a 6.1 cam and valve train is in my opinion the best choice cause its really cheap- Most guys are upgrading their 6.1s- gives you a decent 35 hp and 30 ft lb or torque at usable ranges. Obviously if youre hitting the rev limiter in your XK constantly you may want a larger cam but Im assuming you are probably like me and like midrange tq. Also, you'll need to get an Intune and get the Jeep tuned properly. Make sure to have supporting mods done to increase cam effectiveness and save on tuning once.
    2K6 Limited Jeep Green Metallic/Saddle Brown Leather XK HEMI QDII Old Man Emu HD Suspension w/ Fox Emulsion 2.0 Rear Shocks 1.5" SpiderTraxx Wheel Spacers 265/70 GoodYear MTRs w/Kevlar True Dual Exhuast w/IMCO 50 K&N 63 CAI Diablo 91/Performance Transmission Tuned SA Belly Skid MOPAR Gas Tank Skid, Transfer Case Skid, Suspension Skid Front Tow Hooks 6k HID Lows/3k Fogs

Member Looking for Dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by 06JeepXKHEMI View Post
    In addition, with Jeeps like the XK you want usable power meaning low end. With a bigger cam youll lose low end but gain top end. Going with a 6.1 cam and valve train is in my opinion the best choice cause its really cheap- Most guys are upgrading their 6.1s- gives you a decent 35 hp and 30 ft lb or torque at usable ranges. Obviously if youre hitting the rev limiter in your XK constantly you may want a larger cam but Im assuming you are probably like me and like midrange tq. Also, you'll need to get an Intune and get the Jeep tuned properly. Make sure to have supporting mods done to increase cam effectiveness and save on tuning once.
    In my perusing of Google, there seemed to be a lot of people who were getting noticeably higher hp and tq in both the low end and the high end. That was what I was hoping to achieve. The Sidewinder cam was specifically mentioned as doing just that.

2005 JGC 5.7L
    K&N 57 series CAI
    everything else is stock... for now 😉

Member Looking for Dirt
    Here's a link to dyno reports from LX guys who used the Sidewinder cam:
    http://www.lxforums.com/board/showth...o-Results-Only

2005 JGC 5.7L
    K&N 57 series CAI

Hm stand corrected. Just remember most of those guys have some great supporting mods, intake manifolds, exhaust manifolds etc.. Impressive though
    2K6 Limited Jeep Green Metallic/Saddle Brown Leather XK HEMI QDII Old Man Emu HD Suspension w/ Fox Emulsion 2.0 Rear Shocks 1.5" SpiderTraxx Wheel Spacers 265/70 GoodYear MTRs w/Kevlar True Dual Exhuast w/IMCO 50 K&N 63 CAI Diablo 91/Performance Transmission Tuned SA Belly Skid MOPAR Gas Tank Skid, Transfer Case Skid, Suspension Skid Front Tow Hooks 6k HID Lows/3k Fogs

Member Looking for Dirt
    Yeah, I noticed a few of them had a CAI and either a full exhaust system or a catback. I'm getting my true dual done next Friday, then I'll have to be patient waiting for ARH to make headers for my wk. That wait is gonna be brutal, lol.

2005 JGC 5.7L
    K&N 57 series CAI

Member Looking for Dirt
    Almost forgot: here's a link to a 5.7 Hemi build in which the only thing they changed was the cam, and they even used a relatively mild one.
    http://www.truckinweb.com/tech/1110t...1/viewall.html

2005 JGC 5.7L
    K&N 57 series CAI

If you have a WK you can use SRT8 headers, aftermarket ones. The ports wont be EXACT match but it wont cause any issues at all..

Member Looking for Dirt
    Oh, I wasn't aware of that. All this time I had thought that, for ten years, no one made headers that fit, lol. It didn't make any sense to me.
    What year SRT8 headers will fit? They didn't build the SRT8 WK until 2006, correct?
    Also, they'll be able to bolt right onto my stock cats, right? No cutting/welding to make em work?

05 WK 5.7L
    K&N 57 series CAI

2006-2010 You'll be able to use. No, they wont bolt up to your cats and midpipes, what you can do is get the stock SRT8 manifolds which are essentially shorty headers, get the stock midpipes and cats and have yourself a nice set up for a decently cheap price. OR you can go get OBX SRT8 headers, they are a hooker knock off and they've had great reviews. Ive used OBX headers on 3 240sx's and an Acura CLS 3.2 and they were great. Cheap, yes and of course not the quality of ARH or Hooker but at a 1/3 of the price, why not. The good thing about these is they come with midpipes! The midpipes have resonators built in, so cut them out, weld in stock cats and boom have yourself a set of LT headers, nice mids, stock cats to keep your computer happy and youre set. They run like $600 for all that and a shop could help you install and weld in stock cats. So for the price of JUST headers thru one of the name brand manufacturers you can have these and installed

Member Looking for Dirt
    Yeah, I found a set of OBX headers on eBay for $555, with the midpipes and resonators. I wonder how easily they could hook up to my true duals...
    If the shop installs flanges when they delete my y-pipe, I might be able to do it myself once I practice my welding a little bit.

05 WK 5.7L
    K&N 57 series CAI

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information