Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost Over Drive

Senior Member Getting Dirty Holiday Jones's Avatar

Lost Over Drive

So my check engine light has been coming on and off randomly since I bought it two months ago. When I had it read, it said it read throwing some sort of transmission code, but then it turned off. But yesterday, I drive to Webster FL for one of my friends weddings, which is about 2 1/2 hours away from saint Augustine where I'm at. On my way back, I had a hard stop at a red light I didn't see. About 5 minutes later, after another brake, turn, accelerate, there a LOUD bang in the Drivetrain, the CEL came on immediately, and now I have no OD. At 60mph, I'm at 2,000rpm. Any ideas?
    200 Army Green Commander Limited. HEMI. QuadraDriveII!!!! 4xGuard Matrix, 3/4" D-rings, 2" Rough Country Lift, 255/75/17 BFG M/T, 1.25" wheel spacers.

Also, I've noticed on threads talking about the MDS system, that all you have to do is move the stick to the left once, which everyone describes as "5th"....when I push it once, the indicator says "4". Idk what that means, plus I'm pretty sure the MDS still comes on when it's in "4"...
    200 Army Green Commander Limited. HEMI. QuadraDriveII!!!! 4xGuard Matrix, 3/4" D-rings, 2" Rough Country Lift, 255/75/17 BFG M/T, 1.25" wheel spacers.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    What type of bang? Was it like a metal banging noise? What codes are you throwing now?

Well, now the CEL went off, and it seems to be working again...it has a slipping problem tho that's also random. It was used to pull something at one time, add they did install a trailer break system. The sound was almost like a metal that was bound up, then let go. It was loud, and in the either the trans, or xfr case. I'm not sure what it's issue is. When the light comes on again, I'll read the codes. Every time I've taken it to read codes, it's that trip that the light goes off...

But the "drive" to "4th" gear issue has always been the same

That's weird for sure your describing two separate problems kinda. The loud metal clank is it's own problem. While the gear selector is another but kinda related LOL. If your having trans slipping the computer might have you in limp mode but that should throw codes. I wonder if the PO did anything to the programming. Either way when was the last time you did a trans drop on the trans and changed the filters? Also when was the TC done?

I don't know when any of it was done. I'm having all of it changed asap. I've only had it since January, and I just have had time or $$$ yet. I'm going to do that first, and go from there. Worst case is the trans is worn out I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Holiday Jones View Post
    I don't know when any of it was done. I'm having all of it changed asap. I've only had it since January, and I just have had time or $$$ yet. I'm going to do that first, and go from there. Worst case is the trans is worn out I guess.
    The trans on these things are pretty solid. I would suspect the TC though before the trans for any mechanical damage. That being said both of them depend on clean fresh fluid to stay dependable.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty 06JeepXKHEMI's Avatar
    Sounds like a clogged filter to me. Get a 2 stage flush done. A 2 stage flush basically keeps the filter in replaces old fluid with new and flushes new fluid thru old filter. Then it drops the pan again, changes fluid and filter and replaces all with new fluid and filter. Should be $150-200 but well worth it if you dont know when or if it was ever done
    2K6 Limited Jeep Green Metallic/Saddle Brown Leather XK HEMI QDII Old Man Emu HD Suspension w/ Fox Emulsion 2.0 Rear Shocks 1.5" SpiderTraxx Wheel Spacers 265/70 GoodYear MTRs w/Kevlar True Dual Exhuast w/IMCO 50 K&N 63 CAI Diablo 91/Performance Transmission Tuned SA Belly Skid MOPAR Gas Tank Skid, Transfer Case Skid, Suspension Skid Front Tow Hooks 6k HID Lows/3k Fogs

How is that an advantage over just replacing the filter/fluid? Jw

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information