Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dan.2005WK's Garage

Member Looking for Dirt

Dan.2005WK's Garage

So, here's what I have: a very stock 05 WK Limited with a 5.7L Hemi. Pretty sharp looking ride, with the exception of a tear in the driver's seat and a little paint missing from the edge of the driver's door. Have a look:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	34083374305a8f66d08f45cc17cff7f2-1.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	2631

Well, I couldn't leave it stock for long, so I slapped on a K&N 57 series CAI:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bae6fbc8ae5f405c18c6a5c06e88377f-1.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	2632

Today, I had a shop install a true dual system. They deleted the y-pipe, matched pipe lengths, and put a Flowmaster 50 on each pipe, then routed both back to the stock location, did a 30° downturn, then cut the pipes flat. It sounds phenomenal. I have yet to really stomp on it, but I'm thrilled with the sound. It really sounds like a Hemi now. (I know what you're thinking: no crossover pipe? Well, as I understand the physics, you don't need it, as long as you've matched the length of pipe to the muffler. Correct me if I'm wrong. Seriously. I don't like not knowing things.) Pics to come. I wish I had snapped a few photos while it was on the lift, but I was too excited to think about it, hahaha.

(added on 4/18/2015)
    Later in this thread, I'll discuss a problem with my rear axle seeming to lock up, paint chip repair, and faux leather seat repair. I also go over an issue that seems to plague a lot of early WK's: lift glass (sometimes called "flipper glass") randomly opening whenever all the doors are unlocked. I could even hear it actuate when the glass was already open.
    I hope you find this stuff to be helpful!

(added on 7/11/2015)
    Later in this thread, I'll also discuss the installation of long tube headers originally designed for the '06-'10 SRT8 WK's. Long story short: I don't recommend it. If you have a custom exhaust shop near you, have them fabricate custom headers in-house and avoid the extra time and expense.
    Last edited by Dan.2005WK; 07-11-2015 at 01:26 PM.

Member Looking for Dirt
    Sound nice! Can't wait to see some pictures.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty 06JeepXKHEMI's Avatar
    The dual in dual out acts as a crossover that's why there's no need for one. Sounds like a great set up, looking forward to pics and videos!
    2K6 Limited Jeep Green Metallic/Saddle Brown Leather XK HEMI QDII Old Man Emu HD Suspension w/ Fox Emulsion 2.0 Rear Shocks 1.5" SpiderTraxx Wheel Spacers 265/70 GoodYear MTRs w/Kevlar True Dual Exhuast w/IMCO 50 K&N 63 CAI Diablo 91/Performance Transmission Tuned SA Belly Skid MOPAR Gas Tank Skid, Transfer Case Skid, Suspension Skid Front Tow Hooks 6k HID Lows/3k Fogs

Member Looking for Dirt
    I agree, but he didn't do a DI/DO, he put a single 50 on each pipe. Either he misunderstood me or he figured this way was better. You'll see what I mean when I finally post some pics. I believe I owe you a vid as well, haha.

05 WK 5.7L
    K&N 57 series CAI

Hahaha yea you may want to consider a crossover pipe at some point to help keep back pressure and scavenging right. Matt explained everything to me maybe he will drop in again
    2K6 Limited Jeep Green Metallic/Saddle Brown Leather XK HEMI QDII Old Man Emu HD Suspension w/ Fox Emulsion 2.0 Rear Shocks 1.5" SpiderTraxx Wheel Spacers 265/70 GoodYear MTRs w/Kevlar True Dual Exhuast w/IMCO 50 K&N 63 CAI Diablo 91/Performance Transmission Tuned SA Belly Skid MOPAR Gas Tank Skid, Transfer Case Skid, Suspension Skid Front Tow Hooks 6k HID Lows/3k Fogs

Member Looking for Dirt
    Yeah, I just did a bit of Googling on the topic. Looks like you can even squeeze a few more horsepower out of your engine with an X-pipe. It makes sense, too; there'd be less backpressure on the piston that's in the exhaust stroke. X's seem to have more advantages than H's, but both are advantageous. Now that I understand the reasoning behind it, I know what I want to do next. I'll probably figure out where I want the X-pipe placed (methods of determining that aren't hard to find, so I won't dive into it now), and have the shop do that when I ask them to put in new headers. Gotta save up for it, though.

05 WK 5.7L
    K&N 57 series CAI

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Can't wait to hear what this sounds like!

Member Looking for Dirt
    It was a real treat compared to the stock exhaust!
    Since New England hasn't gotten the memo that it's spring, we just got a fresh blanket of snow. Still, I hope to post at least some pics tomorrow, if not a vid.

05 WK 5.7L
    K&N 57 series CAI

Member Looking for Dirt
    So sorry for the delay! Here are a few pics, vid to come...

Here you can see the demarcation between the stock cats and the new pipes. It's not really visible, but they deleted the y-pipe.

Just working my way back. In this photo and the next, you can see that they used two Flowmaster 50's (offset in/offset out) instead of a DI/DO. They also didn't put in a crossover pipe, but apparently it doesn't make much of a difference in power for street applications. I think I like this way more; it doesn't sound smooth and European, it sounds brash and unrefined - just the way I like it! 😃

Here you can see how they kept the pipes next to each other as they went over the axle and that I still have my spare tire in place.

And, finally, the tips. Nothing fancy; just a 30° downturn and a flat cut. The hangar looks a little gnarly, I know, but I don't plan on doing anything about it unless it breaks. Function before form, imho. 😉

Well, there you have it! True dual on an 05 WK Hemi! The whole job, tax included, cost me $850. You'll pay about that to get a 3" Gibson catback professionally installed, so I'm very happy with it.

Like I said, I'll post a vid before too long. I have to take one first, lol.

05 WK 5.7L
    K&N 57 series CAI
    True dual Flowmaster exhaust

Looks good man! The offset mufflers is good in the fact the exhaust has equal amount or close to it, distance before it hits the muffler on either side. Cant wait for the video!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information