Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dan.2005WK's Garage

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty 06JeepXKHEMI's Avatar
    so wheres this video of the current set up we were promised!!!
    2K6 Limited Jeep Green Metallic/Saddle Brown Leather XK HEMI QDII Old Man Emu HD Suspension w/ Fox Emulsion 2.0 Rear Shocks 1.5" SpiderTraxx Wheel Spacers 265/70 GoodYear MTRs w/Kevlar True Dual Exhuast w/IMCO 50 K&N 63 CAI Diablo 91/Performance Transmission Tuned SA Belly Skid MOPAR Gas Tank Skid, Transfer Case Skid, Suspension Skid Front Tow Hooks 6k HID Lows/3k Fogs

Member Looking for Dirt
    Sorry, I've been working 12-hour days most of this week. Hopefully I can get a vid tomorrow. I keep meaning to do it, I promise!

Member Looking for Dirt
    And then this happens:

The shops thinks (and, reluctantly, I agree) that my rear diff has broken. When I backed it out of my parking spot, I thought I hit something. There was noise, and I thought I'd gotten my bumper hung up on something. After driving it forward and backward a little bit, I decided not to risk any more driving. So, I had it towed to a nearby shop, and they'll look at it Monday.
    Please, God, let it just be a broken tooth on a spider gear...

05 WK 5.7L
    K&N 57 series CAI
    True dual Flowmaster exhaust

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty 06JeepXKHEMI's Avatar
    Oh man that sucks!!! Jeep, just empty every pocket! Good luck man
    2K6 Limited Jeep Green Metallic/Saddle Brown Leather XK HEMI QDII Old Man Emu HD Suspension w/ Fox Emulsion 2.0 Rear Shocks 1.5" SpiderTraxx Wheel Spacers 265/70 GoodYear MTRs w/Kevlar True Dual Exhuast w/IMCO 50 K&N 63 CAI Diablo 91/Performance Transmission Tuned SA Belly Skid MOPAR Gas Tank Skid, Transfer Case Skid, Suspension Skid Front Tow Hooks 6k HID Lows/3k Fogs

Member Looking for Dirt
    Thanks. It was a big surprise to me, to say the least. I love that truck almost as much as I love my dog, so I'm pretty worried about it.
    They own a scrap yard, so hopefully I can get replacement parts on the cheap.

Member Looking for Dirt
    So it turns out that it wasn't my rear diff at all, thank God. My e-brake shoes and pads came loose and got jammed up between the regular pads and the rotor. I don't know which side it was on, but I guess that explains why it was a lot worse when I was backing up than it was when I was moving forward. $350 for new shoes and rotors (cuz my old ones were pretty nasty).
    Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.
    I still owe you chaps a vid of my exhaust. I've been slacking on that.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan.2005WK View Post
    So it turns out that it wasn't my rear diff at all, thank God. My e-brake shoes and pads came loose and got jammed up between the regular pads and the rotor. I don't know which side it was on, but I guess that explains why it was a lot worse when I was backing up than it was when I was moving forward. $350 for new shoes and rotors (cuz my old ones were pretty nasty).
    Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.
    I still owe you chaps a vid of my exhaust. I've been slacking on that.

That's good news then! It's nice when things aren't as bad as you originally thought.
    Last edited by Sal-XK; 04-17-2015 at 07:57 PM.

Member Looking for Dirt
    Most definitely!

So when I bought my WK, I noticed that there was a paint chip in the driver's door. It looks like something was in the way and the door was shut. Either that, or it was some type of small, localized impact. This is how it looked:

Yesterday I went to AutoZone to pick up a product I saw on tv: a Duplicolor all-in-one paint repair pen thingy. It has an abrasive tip (which was nowhere near as effective as a wire brush and sandpaper), paint that's color matched for your vehicle type, and a clear coat. After getting all the rust off and making a generally smooth surface, I applied about three layers of paint. It was windy, so it started drying really fast. Put on the clear coat, too. I found some other minor rust spots nearby, so I cleaned and painted those, as well. For about $16 and a little more than half an hour (most of which was waiting for each layer to dry completely), this is the end result.

It's not as nice as a professional job, but my priority was to avoid rust propagation. I'd recommend that Duplicolor pen to anyone who has a paint chip and doesn't want to spend the money on a pro. If you really sweat the details (sanding, smoothing the edges of the paint chip, even application of the repair paint, etc.), you can make it difficult to tell that there was ever a chip. I didn't sweat them too much, because my hands were getting cold, hahaha. Nevertheless, definitely worth the money. And there's still plenty left in there for me to do more repairs down the road.

05 WK 5.7L
    K&N 57 series CAI

Member Looking for Dirt
    By the way, I also have been having an issue with my rear lift glass randomly opening. It would happen at irregular intervals whenever all the doors were unlocked. It was as if I was hitting the button on the key fob, but I knew I wasn't. I didn't try too many things, and I nearly took it to the stealership to have them look at it. In one forum, this issue was discussed. Eventually, the poor guy found out the button to release the lift glass was getting stuck. Not the button on the key fob, but the button to the right of the lift gate handle. I didn't even know that button was there. So I wiggled the button around a little, and pulled it out some. I also hit it with some spray silicone lube because it was obvious that it was sticking when I actuated it. Well, I left the doors unlocked for about 5-6 hours today, while a patch job on my driver's seat was drying. Voila! No open lift glass!
    So if you're having this issue of randomly opening lift glass, check that button first.

05 WK 5.7L
    K&N 57 series CAI

Member Looking for Dirt
    If you're curious about the patch job on my faux leather seat, it was pretty easy.
    I picked up a 3M Vinyl and Leather Repair Kit from AutoZone for about $20. I can't remember exactly how much it was.
    The instructions are very clear and precise. The only thing that I had difficulty with was mixing and matching the paint correctly. The gray color I mixed ended up not quite matching the seat. But the holes are patched up, so it's functional. I don't need it to be pretty.
    There are a couple texture patterns you can use to closely match the texture of the paint with that of the seat. Again, if you sweat the details, you can make it look really good. I didn't sweat the details on this. I just wanted the tears to not propagate any further.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information