Thread: QD2 hp/tq limitations?

Member Looking for Dirt

QD2 hp/tq limitations?

Hi all!
    It's been a while since I've posted anything in here, and my cursory search of the forum didn't turn up the answer to my question.
    Backstory (skip to the next paragraph if you think this might bore you): I am a huge fan of drag racing. It could be inspired by my dad who grew up in California in the 60's (a great era in all sorts of American racing) and did some illegal street racing in his teens, but regardless, the idea of being pinned back in your seat like you're strapped to a rocket is very appealing to me. That said, when I saw an 800-hp SRT8 WK beat an 800-hp AWD Oldsmobile Cutlass (which was 1000 lbs lighter, btw) by one and a half car lengths, I was excited. Now, I know my engine is a N/A 5.7L and not the supercharged 392 that SRT8 has, BUT it really got the gears turning in my head.
    I currently have an intake, throttle body, tuner, long tube headers, and dual exhaust with a Flowmaster 50 on each pipe, and it sounds freaking fantastic. The rest of the stuff I want to do to my engine is a little more radical: a cam and perhaps a stroker kit. Two things give me pause: cost, and potential damage to the drivetrain, which finally leads me to the question I have.

How much power and torque would I be able to put to my wheels before I'd have to start worrying about damaging the drivetrain components, assuming I get beefier U-joints and install a safety bracket around the drive shaft? I'm running a bone-stock QuadraDrive II trans and drivetrain.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm also considering putting in an Edelbrock E-force supercharger or even a turbo, which is a big reason I'm asking.

Thanks in advance!

p.s. I haven't taken it to the dyno, because AWD dynos are hard to find. I'd estimate that I put out about 375/375 at the engine. I'm not sure, though.

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using Tapatalk

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty pjmjr508's Avatar
    I'd like to know too.
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Yea, I was wondering if we could cam our commanders.

Member Looking for Dirt
    http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/eng...m-swap-part-1/
    That's an article in which they replace the stock cam in a 5.7 Hemi from a junkyard. They mention that there are more aggressive cams out there, but that the one they use (which is available from Summit Racing) is a better cam for street applications. I want to do it, but swapping out a cam is a lengthy process; I don't have enough faith in my abilities to do something that difficult on my own.
    Parts 2 & 3 discuss stroking it to 370 c/i and installing a turbo, respectively. Very cool stuff!

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using Tapatalk

Thread Information