Thread: Thinking about replacing the XK

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty WanderingTs's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thinking about replacing the XK

Hello everyone! I am having a new thought with my XK and came back here to see if others have been dealing with the same thought. This certainly isn’t the best topic for me to come back about, but it is real and one I am guessing others are also facing. I do not have FB, and I don't surf those "other" forums. This was always my reliable source for those who actually been there and done that, and could back up what they say.

So here is my problem. My XK is purely and off-road and hunting truck for me. As such, it doesn’t get driven much unless it is too or from the mountains. Luckily for me, I live in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada’s, so there is a ton of great Jeeping within day trip range of my house. As a result, my 2007 XK only has about 45,000 miles on it. The value on it is obviously still there, but I am looking longer term here.

If i continue to use it the way I have been, it will be many many years before I reach the life expectancy of the XK. As it gets older, as with all cars, the availability of parts is getting less and less. This is especially true for aftermarket parts and will get even worse as we reach the magic 10 year mark. As I get to the point where Jeep may be the only source of parts, prices will go sky high. Only having had the XK made for a few years did not help this either. As a side note, I wonder how the lifetime power train warranty will be honored once parts become hard or impossible to get?

So I face the question, do I sell the XK while the value is still up and replace it with something else capable of towing and doing serious roading? And if the answer to that is yes, what do I replace it with? I currently see nothing out there on the market with the 4X4 attributes I need - 1. short turning radius for those tight spots I get into 2. High towing capacity for pulling smaller travel trailer, this would include a V8 or similar and frame/suspension capable 3. seat my family of 5, with room left over for the multitude of gear we always seem to need to take with us 4. Reasonable price 5. not something that is going to change models in 5 years so I am back to the same problem 6. Has that Jeep built to be indestructible construction.

I had a 1995 Chevy S-10 prior to the XK (I still have the S-10, first owner, special ordered, but it never leaves the property now). I took that truck so many places it never should have been. I broke the frame cross-member twice from side to side torque and lots of extremely bumpy roads. (We have volcanic rock country here that is beautiful, but so hard on the vehicles.) So i knew once I replaced that truck, it was going to be a Jeep.

Once the kids are gone, I am sure a Rubicon or similar will be in my future, but right now, it doesn't fit my needs.

What are everyone’s thoughts?
    The best things in life can not be found on a map; they can only be found while Wandering.
    __________________________________________________ ___

2007 XK - 4.7L Flex Fuel // Rocky Road 2.25 lift // Rocky Road Super Sliders // Toyo Open Country 265/70R17 tires // 4xGuard Front Guard // 4xGuard Belly Guard // 4xGuard Matrix-HC with optional front hitch // Warn XD9000I hitch mounted winch // Graco Carseat for the Youngun

http://www.xk-forum.com/blog.php - The Wild(life) Side of Jeeping

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WanderingTs View Post
    If i continue to use it the way I have been, it will be many many years before I reach the life expectancy of the XK. As it gets older, as with all cars, the availability of parts is getting less and less. This is especially true for aftermarket parts and will get even worse as we reach the magic 10 year mark. As I get to the point where Jeep may be the only source of parts, prices will go sky high. Only having had the XK made for a few years did not help this either. As a side note, I wonder how the lifetime power train warranty will be honored once parts become hard or impossible to get?
    Everything above is a non-issue. Replacement parts for the XK won't be phased out of OEM or aftermarket within even your next vehicles lifetime.

The value of your xk also won't drop much over the next few years, and its not worth a whole lot now relative to new vehicle prices. I'd hold off a little longer to see if some better 4x4's hit the market in the near term.... or at least an 8 cylinder (or small diesel) wrangler.

Super Moderator Getting Dirty
    Good to hear from you, My XK does not get much highway time either (although it is going to Oregon the end of August). For me keeping it is not a concern as it is paid off and everything works, hard to replace it with something that will require payments.

Member Looking for Dirt XKLover's Avatar
    Just remember alot of our parts are the same as the WK which they made a ton of. I don't see that being a problem in the near future.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Like Matt said, the replacement parts are a non issue. Also the older these Jeeps get the more aftermarket support I see coming to market. I really can't think of anything out their that can seat 5 with room for gear left over. Can tow over 7K pounds and has the off road abilities of the XK. We really lost a great Jeep when they stopped making these. I agree with Matt that you'll probably have to wait for something new to come to market or for Jeep to put a diesel in the wrangler.

Senior Member Getting Dirty Holiday Jones's Avatar
    Man, I wish I didn't put a lot of miles on mine. Already at 8k and I just bought it in January.lol but like Sal said, there isn't anything else like the XK. I spent a year and half researching vehicles from the LR disco, Toy LC, even the smaller Isuzu, and Cherokee and of course the WJ and WK, but, at least in the trim I have, I found nothing equipped like The old Commander. But that's just my couple of pennies.
    200 Army Green Commander Limited. HEMI. QuadraDriveII!!!! 4xGuard Matrix, 3/4" D-rings, 2" Rough Country Lift, 255/75/17 BFG M/T, 1.25" wheel spacers.

Senior Member Getting Dirty lekmedm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    ...or at least an 8 cylinder (or small diesel) wrangler.
    I can't believe what I just read!

Sent from wherever my Jeep takes me.
    2007 Commander Overland / 4" SuperLift / 285/70R17 Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx / Rusty's adjustable rear UCAs / Carolina Driveline front drive shaft / Flashpaq / DRLs & Tilting Mirrors / Autolite Iridiums / Cobra 29LX Chrome LE CB & Firestik antenna / Rear fog lights / Mopar Grille Guard with HID driving lights
    "4 wheel drive does not mean 4 wheel stop!" -Lee Goldberg, WABC TV weatherman

Thread Information