Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Headlight access door

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty strokeZ's Avatar

Headlight access door

So stupid me left the little door that you access the foglight / headlight bulb open the last time I changed it and it got ripped off by the tire. Anyone have a good idea on how to cover the hole? I am guessing a new one calls for a fully new fender liner since its attached at the top.
    2012 Jeep JKU Rubicon - 4-1/2" AEV lift w 35" Toyo's

03 BMW Z4 2.5i ESS Stage 2 Supercharged, Custom Suspension, Stebro Exhaust, Hamann Side Skirts

85 BMW 535is Lowering springs, bilstein sport shocks, extra attitude

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Get some black duct tape.

Senior Member Getting Dirty cico7's Avatar
    I tore my door off too because I didnt fold it back in. I drilled a hole in the top of the door and also in the fender well. reattached it with
    an aluminum rivet on a hinge.

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    I would just use the duct tape idea. All that door does is allow access to the lights like you stated so as long as you block dirt and debris from getting in there it will be fine.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Senior Member Getting Dirty cico7's Avatar
    My concern with duct tape is that it would get wet and fall off. Duct tape isnt expensive, but the door keep water from getting in.
    If you go thru a large puddle of water, would it get in the filter? Could it?
    Do you want to patch a hole in a 30-40,000 vehicle with duct tape?

problem is I was on the freeway when I heard it rubbing and before I could exit it tore off. Duct tape might be my only way out.

03 BMW Z4 2.5i ESS Stage 2 Supercharged, Custom Suspension, Stebro Exhaust, Hamann Side Skirts

Senior Member Getting Dirty Adondo's Avatar
    Mine broke when I upgraded the fogs to HID. I used thin aluminum and pop rivets. I used small hinges at the top, and hold the new covers shut with screws. I can remove the screws and hinge the door open for access.
    2006, 4.7L, QTII, Toyo Wild Country M/T 265/70R17 tires, Ultrasport 175 wheels, Rocky Road 2.25'' lift kit, HID off-road lighting, Surco 50x60 roof rack, Foxwing awning, Superchips performance programming.

Member Looking for Dirt El Comandante's Avatar
    I lost mine while mudding at the Badlands but I didn't think they were hinged, it seemed as if they snapped in at the top and bottom so they might be replaceable. I have a 2008 XK so could they have redesigned these access panels to be replaceable? I have yet to look for them at the dealer or online.
    - Oscar aka LuvMyCommander
    2008 Commander 3.7L V6
    Mods: OEM tow hitch, OEM 7 pin tow wiring, OEM fog lights, daytime running lamps enabled, 4xGuard Matrix Guard w/grill hoop kit, RC 2" lift kit, K&N drop-in filter, PIAA 510 ATP aux lights

Yes the 08 must be different than the 07 design. I ended up cutting some plastic and riveting it into the space. Seems to be working.......

Member Looking for Dirt El Comandante's Avatar
    Just as an update I did go to the dealer to look for the access door and they said it is part of the entire fender liner so to replace just the door you would have to purchase a whole new liner. The liner itself was about $35 at the dealer, I actually found the same liner online for $10 per side. Once I received the replacement liner I quickly learned why it was so much cheaper than OEM. This $10 liner was made of really thin plastic, it reminded me of a highschool plastic folder. I didn't replace it but it served for extra plastic to cut out my own access door. I ended up cutting it to the size I needed and attached it with two plastic rivets at the top and cut a notch in the bottom for the door to stay shut by snapping in place. I can't see it being a problem but if it does end up falling then I'll simply spend the $70 to replace both sides.
    - Oscar aka LuvMyCommander
    2008 Commander 3.7L V6
    Mods: OEM tow hitch, OEM 7 pin tow wiring, OEM fog lights, daytime running lamps enabled, 4xGuard Matrix Guard w/grill hoop kit, RC 2" lift kit, K&N drop-in filter, PIAA 510 ATP aux lights

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information