3 50.00%
  • Buena Vista KOA

3 50.00%
  • Keep looking, those don't work for me

0 0%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: West Coast Camp Commander 2011 / Planning Thread

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    I wouldn't mind trying another part of the state. If we went to the Fairlplay area, we could even do Mosquito Pass - the highest 4x4 pass in North America. I know there is also a bunch of stuff up near Central City/Empire as I drove past the trail heads last year.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    We are certainly not locked into the Silverton area. I do know that several of our fellow campers go to Silverton every year so we may or may not get them to take off and join us elsewhere but Colorado is such a beautiful state I know I would like to see more.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty WanderingTs's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I agree there is much to see in Colorado. I have been several times elk hunting to areas only 30 miles or so as the crow flies from where we did runs out of Silverton and saw different and beautiful country.
    The best things in life can not be found on a map; they can only be found while Wandering.
    __________________________________________________ ___

2007 XK - 4.7L Flex Fuel // Rocky Road 2.25 lift // Rocky Road Super Sliders // Toyo Open Country 265/70R17 tires // 4xGuard Front Guard // 4xGuard Belly Guard // 4xGuard Matrix-HC with optional front hitch // Warn XD9000I hitch mounted winch // Graco Carseat for the Youngun

http://www.xk-forum.com/blog.php - The Wild(life) Side of Jeeping

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty El Cid's Avatar
    I suppose my recommendation would be to repeat the San Juans once more for West Coast Camp, but running from a different base to mix things up: Ouray or Ridgway, probably.

One could then adequately plan for somewhere else in Colorado for the National Camp event. Gunnison, Fairplay, and Buena Vista come quickly to mind. Perhaps best, though, would be Georgetown, which is easy to access just out of Denver on the interstate, but is also close to a wide range of terrific trails. I do think most folks would enjoy something like that more than a private park.
    Mike
    2006 5.7L Limited, Inferno Red, QDII, and all goodies. Modified Superlift 4" lift-kit, B.F.G. 285/70R17 A/Ts (1.25" spacers), Aries tail-light guards, AVS ventvisors, KC Hilites off-road lights, and from 4xGuard: Belly Guard, Front Guard 4, Matrix brush guard with Receiver and Grill Hoop, Rear Diff Guard, Rear Guard 2, Rear Sliders, and Side Guards.

Junior Member Looking for Dirt
    We typically go to Silverton every year anyway, so I really enjoy being able to combine our many interests into one trip. There are many trails in the area that we have yet to attempt, particularly south of Silverton. I don't think it makes much sense to stay in Ouray, when we can camp cheaper in Silverton.

I have stayed all over Colorado and think that the Silverton area is the prettiest and has the most to offer. However, my second favorite CO spot is around Leadville. There are a lot of trails around there as well.
    2009 Jeep Commander Limited
    red rock exterior, saddle brown seats, and fully loaded.

Stock and proud of it!

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Tymac's Avatar
    Like I have said in years past when asked where in Colorado would I like to wheel....my answer has always been a simple yes. Just tell me when and where to meet everyone and we'll be there. Plus we plan on spending at least 4 days in camp next year. My business meetings in Indy have always had me leaving camp early. We'll we have changed those dates to July 8 & 9, 2011 so I don't have to rush back.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tymac View Post
    We'll we have changed those dates to July 8 & 9, 2011 so I don't have to rush back.
    Unless we have camp Commander on July 4-10!

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty WanderingTs's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Any holiday weekend is very hard for me to get time off. While I have ten years of senority, in my current assignment I am (thanks to 100 layoffs) one of the junior guys. This means getting vacation on or around a holiday is next to impossible. Same thing for my wife.

Also holidays tend to be higher rates and less flexibility on reservations due to demand. I would also expect more traffic on the trails.

Mid to late July or early August would take my vote.

Northern Colorado, Georgetown as El Cid put forward, would be some closer and offer different opportunities for side trips. Both plusses in my book.
    The best things in life can not be found on a map; they can only be found while Wandering.
    __________________________________________________ ___

2007 XK - 4.7L Flex Fuel // Rocky Road 2.25 lift // Rocky Road Super Sliders // Toyo Open Country 265/70R17 tires // 4xGuard Front Guard // 4xGuard Belly Guard // 4xGuard Matrix-HC with optional front hitch // Warn XD9000I hitch mounted winch // Graco Carseat for the Youngun

http://www.xk-forum.com/blog.php - The Wild(life) Side of Jeeping

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    It looks like the Full Size Jeep Club & FJ Summit are both looking at July 20th - July 22nd so if we go to Silverton we need to go during any other time frame.

Member Looking for Dirt redrockv8's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Knappster View Post
    It looks like the Full Size Jeep Club & FJ Summit are both looking at July 20th - July 22nd so if we go to Silverton we need to go during any other time frame.
    Or we could mount twin 60's on the roof of our Commanders and challenge the FJ's to a duel in the mountains.
    HT

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information