Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: On Board Air

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty WanderingTs's Avatar
    Blog Entries

On Board Air

So for those of you who have followed and contributed to the thread I started on Air Down vs. Not, thanks for your input. Here is the followup -

One of the other reasons I haven't been airing down is that my most common wheeling areas are far from a nice air compressor. My little Wally World $19 air compressor takes all day to air back up one tire (great for emergency, not so great for regular use).

What do you have for on board air? How well do you like it? I am especially interested in those of you who do not have on board air integrated with your winch (Knappster, I love your setup, but I already have a winch). Anyone have a compressor that plugs into the winches power supply but is not part of the winch?
    The best things in life can not be found on a map; they can only be found while Wandering.
    __________________________________________________ ___

2007 XK - 4.7L Flex Fuel // Rocky Road 2.25 lift // Rocky Road Super Sliders // Toyo Open Country 265/70R17 tires // 4xGuard Front Guard // 4xGuard Belly Guard // 4xGuard Matrix-HC with optional front hitch // Warn XD9000I hitch mounted winch // Graco Carseat for the Youngun

http://www.xk-forum.com/blog.php - The Wild(life) Side of Jeeping

Senior Member Getting Dirty NeilSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    There are good compressors at Harbor freight and such that will run you a couple hundred bucks for a nice one. If you wheel on a regular basis i would think it would be a good investment. They just hook up to the battery terminals. you can drive for a little bit to get to a station with air and be ok. Of course the quicker the better. I only went down to 22 psi, if you go on down to 15 or so, just drive a little slower on curvy roads so not to roll the tire and break the bead. I had to drive about 40 minutes on the asphalt to get to air when I left Flagpole Knob, but Im not doing that on a regular basis neither.
    '07 Commander 3.7 V6
    2" Rough Country Lift with Vision Warriors and Goodyear Duratracs 245/75R17
    BajaRack Mega-Mule with KC Daylighters
    http://s624.photobucket.com/albums/t...cpZZ1QQtppZZ20

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Hueypilot purchased several at Harbor Freight a few years back and I gave one of those away at Camp Commander 2009, They were small and worked well. Maybe someone who has one will share their experiences with it.
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Senior Member Getting Dirty HueyPilotVN's Avatar
    The Harbor freight compressors were on sale and were only about 50 or 60 bucks each. I also got an aluminum case and an air down tool. Here are some pictures.

2007Jeep Green Limited
    4.7 Flex Fuel, Rocky Road 2.5" Lift on front, 4 inch Superlift coils on rear, Spidertrax 1.5" Spacers, Bridgestone 265/70/17
    Chrome Nerf Side Bars, K&N CAI, Flowmaster muffler, Aluminum Diamond Plate Locking Trunk installed
    Factory Roof Pod, Blue Ox Baseplate w/D-rings, "Get Lost 4X4" Front Bumper, T-Max 9000 winch, "Get Lost rear tire carrier, 30 gal second gas tank.
    Did anyone else read the fine print in the brochure and get a $500 rebate for being a Veteran?

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty El Cid's Avatar
    I have the same kind of air compressor Huey shows -- though without the kickass case. Mine's a T-Max, but it's the same design. There are probably dozens of similar single-cylinder compressors. Can it air up as fast as the Conoco in Silverton? No. But it gets the job done.

I was keeping mine under the hood beside the Hemi until this summer. Moved it out and have been working on an underbody mount for it.
    Mike
    2006 5.7L Limited, Inferno Red, QDII, and all goodies. Modified Superlift 4" lift-kit, B.F.G. 285/70R17 A/Ts (1.25" spacers), Aries tail-light guards, AVS ventvisors, KC Hilites off-road lights, and from 4xGuard: Belly Guard, Front Guard 4, Matrix brush guard with Receiver and Grill Hoop, Rear Diff Guard, Rear Guard 2, Rear Sliders, and Side Guards.

Lifetime Member Looking for Dirt
    I also have the same I pump carry in back mostly for the chance that my wife comes out after work to disscover that a tire has gone flat she could air up and get to a service station or home so that i could take care of the problem she can get grumpy if she is stranded.

The pump seems to work fine and was about $60.00

A CO2 tank would be better but expencive
    2006 XK LIMITED
    HEMI QD2 RR 2 1/2 inch lift BFG 265X70X17 TA
    4XGAURD belly plate, trans skid plate and rock rails
    Mopar engine skid plate Spider track spacers
    Custom made CAI and MBPRI cat back
    Hypertec Tuner

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    I need to pick myself up one of those. Everytime I air down I have to jump through hoops to get them filled back up again.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty WanderingTs's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I am seriously looking at Puma PD-1006 that I found recommended on another generic 4X4 forum. Does anyone have experience with either this specific compressor or the Puma brand?
    The best things in life can not be found on a map; they can only be found while Wandering.
    __________________________________________________ ___

2007 XK - 4.7L Flex Fuel // Rocky Road 2.25 lift // Rocky Road Super Sliders // Toyo Open Country 265/70R17 tires // 4xGuard Front Guard // 4xGuard Belly Guard // 4xGuard Matrix-HC with optional front hitch // Warn XD9000I hitch mounted winch // Graco Carseat for the Youngun

http://www.xk-forum.com/blog.php - The Wild(life) Side of Jeeping

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty IamJEEP's Avatar
    ViAir makes good compressor. I use to run a Viair in my old bug with air ride. It would pump up a 5 gallon tank from 0psi to 180psi in 5 minutes. That one ran me $200 but, it wad well worth it. They also make smaller ones for tires for around $70.
    ****Uwharrie Aprroved****
    2006 Commander Sport- 3.7L- 4X4*Inferno Red Crystal Pearl*Rocky Road 2.25" lift *"Limited" Color-Matched Rear Grab Handles*Mopar Hitch/Harness*4xGaurd Matrix w/Fogs*Rear Bumper Lights*Tinted Front Side Markers*MHT Fuel Hostage 17x8.5 +14ET*Nitto Terra Graplers 265/70/17*
    --------->My Garage<------------------

RAGE ROOF RACK MEMBER #2
    Quote Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
    Then I drove her hard for about 45 mins.

Senior Member Getting Dirty Doc in AZ's Avatar
    i've pretty much tried them all...

i tried the harbor freight pump as recommended by many people both here and on another forum i'm on... it sucked. it didn't even air up one tire before it got a healthy appetite for fuses. brand new out of the box trying to use it in my garage... that's just my experience but others attest differently.

then i switched to co2. not a bad idea and there are less expensive ways to do it than a POWER TANK. i went to the welding shop and got a 10# bottle and a 150psi fixed regulator. the good thing is it airs up pretty quickly... that is until the fixed regulator starts to freeze up, then it slows down... but still faster than the HF pump. the really bad thing about it is that it's a consumable rather than a never ending supply. it cost me about $20 to fill it and a tank was only good for about 4 trips when filling 33" tires from 8lbs to 24. the worst thing is when you get ready to air back up and realize you forgot to close the valve the last time you went out. i had to drive about 10 miles on the interstate at 8lbs in my tires to get to a gas station. so that trip cost me $20 to air up one set of tires.

then i switched out to a compressor mounted in the back of the tub... i can't remember the brand anymore but it was a twin cylinder and cost about $400. pretty much worth the money in my opinion. i do a lot of hard trails and have had to air up flats for myself and others, so it's nice not waiting all day.

i currently have the warn powerplant... pretty much the best thing ever. i aired up my 35" tires and my buddy's 37" tires before another guy aired up two of his 35" tires with the HF pump.

there is nothing i know of that you can integrate into a standard winch that will work as an air compressor. if you want to go hardcore, and have the room in the engine compartment, take a look at york compressors. another idea, and i know you said you've already got a winch, but smittybilt is making a unit comparable to the warn powerplant for about half the money.
    Stone Soup Metal Works, L.L.C.
    623.939.WELD
    5037 N. 54th Ave - Suite #5 85301
    Residential - Commercial - Automotive
    See our work on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by IamJEEP View Post
    Thats a cool tool you have there...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information