Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: On Board Air

Senior Member Getting Dirty cico7's Avatar
    I was at Walmart last night and saw this refillable Co2 tank for paint ball guns. I wondered if you could use Co2 to fill with.
    How big of tank and how to regulate the pressure.

Senior Member Getting Dirty Doc in AZ's Avatar
    see my post above for some of the info, but here's some more.

the common sizes of co2 are sold by weight - #5, 10 & 20 - although i'm not sure of the tank pressure, it's probably around 2,000 or so. you can get two types of regulators, i had a 150 psi fixed regulator it had no adjustment or gauge, or you can get an adjustable that reads cylinder pressure and output pressure. the adjustable regulator will flow faster and is suitable for running air tools like an impact, the fixed regulator is really only good for airing things up like tires or beach floaties.

here is a chart from powertank's site - it should help you get an idea of the volume necessary. as i said before each tank fill will cost $15-20

Stone Soup Metal Works, L.L.C.
    623.939.WELD
    5037 N. 54th Ave - Suite #5 85301
    Residential - Commercial - Automotive
    See our work on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by IamJEEP View Post
    Thats a cool tool you have there...

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty WanderingTs's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I read about the Vair elsewhere too, but it seemed people were happier with Puma, mainly for the speed. My normal time to use this would be after a day of hard hunting with a long drive home and the last thing I want to do is delay laying my head on the pillow waiting for a compressor to catch up.

Physically, what size of tank are you talking about for the #20 CO2. I am guessing the size of a welding tank which would make size/weight and issue.

The Warn Power Plant sounds like a great choice.......but to much $$$$ to justify.
    The best things in life can not be found on a map; they can only be found while Wandering.
    __________________________________________________ ___

2007 XK - 4.7L Flex Fuel // Rocky Road 2.25 lift // Rocky Road Super Sliders // Toyo Open Country 265/70R17 tires // 4xGuard Front Guard // 4xGuard Belly Guard // 4xGuard Matrix-HC with optional front hitch // Warn XD9000I hitch mounted winch // Graco Carseat for the Youngun

http://www.xk-forum.com/blog.php - The Wild(life) Side of Jeeping

XRC10HD Winch by Smittybilt $750 i can have these drop-shipped to your door for about $650 depending on zip code

Rated Line Pull: 10000LBS/ 4536KG, Single Line
    Max Pressure or Air Compressor: 150PSI
    Air Flow: 72L/Min
    Length of PU coil air hose: 8m
    Winch Motor: 5.5hp/4.0kw 12V
    Control: Handheld remote switch
    12ft/3.7m lead
    Gear train: 3-Stage Planetary
    Gear Reduction Ratio: 148.2:1
    Clutch: Sliding Ring Gear

The new Smittybilt XRC 10 HD is a 10,000 lb thoroughbred that has the looks and performance to handle any situation you get into. It is really the total package! We start off with one of the largest motors in its class - 5.5 State-of-the-Art Series Wound Motor and equip it with 3-stage planetary gear system with a 148.2:1 gear ratio that delivers lightning fast line speed. The all new HD comes standard with built in 150 PSI Air Compressor with a 2.5 gallon reservoir tank that can be mounted anywhere. The compressor/tank combo will provide more than enough on board air to inflate your tires after a nice day of wheeling or run air tools like an impact gun when a change is necessary. The XRC 10 HD is the next generation in winching technology!
    Last edited by Doc in AZ; 09-05-2010 at 09:20 AM.
    623.939.WELD
    See our work on Facebook

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    D@mn you Doc, now I might just have to go ahead and get that winch. I see it weighs about 67lbs. according to the Smittybuilt website so it could work on a cradle. The Warn Powermate weighs in at something like 110lbs. if memory serves.

I was all set to get the Superwinch LP8500 at Farm & Fleet for $400...

i recommend stepping up to the sythetic for the weight savings, especially on a cradle mounted winch. i have always run it and when i got the powerplant i could barely lift the box. when i took the steel rope out of the new winch i could then lift it with one hand... amazing difference.
    623.939.WELD
    See our work on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Doc in AZ View Post
    XRC10HD Winch by Smittybilt $750 i can have these drop-shipped to your door for about $650 depending on zip code
    Why have they stopped manufacturing these?

http://www.smittybilt.com/product/index/62.htm

Quote Originally Posted by GPCDR View Post
    Why have they stopped manufacturing these?

http://www.smittybilt.com/product/index/62.htm
    last i checked it seemed that after the prototyping was complete and deemed reliable the changes necessary to meet the marketability pricing was disasterous to the winch. they just couldn't get them to work / last and still beat out warn's powerplant. i have seen them and checked them out and was blown away by their pricing thinking it was impossible to build them for half of warn's price, or warn was ripping everyone off - me included. turns out that it's impossible to build a GOOD one for that price.
    623.939.WELD
    See our work on Facebook

Blog Entries
    Still wondering if anyone has experience with Puma brand?
    The best things in life can not be found on a map; they can only be found while Wandering.

2007 XK - 4.7L Flex Fuel // Rocky Road 2.25 lift // Rocky Road Super Sliders // Toyo Open Country 265/70R17 tires // 4xGuard Front Guard // 4xGuard Belly Guard // 4xGuard Matrix-HC with optional front hitch // Warn XD9000I hitch mounted winch // Graco Carseat for the Youngun

Blog Entries
    I did end up buying the Puma brand PD-1006 from Buzzard Gulch, through Ebay. I highly recommend it from my use so far. It takes my tires from 22psi to 50 psi in just under 2 minutes per tire. After doing all four, it only takes the time to put away my airs hose and pressure gauge for the compressor to be cool enought to touch the cooling fins.

It claims to be able to run air tools, but I haven't put it to that test yet.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information