Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you carry a "full Size" spare tire?

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty El Cid's Avatar

Do you carry a "full Size" spare tire?

This topic was moved here from the 4xGuard thread on new products to help keep THAT thread on topic!

The question was; what products would you like to see for the Commander?

The first answer as seen in post #2 was a swing away tire carrier which lead to the discussion of why do you need full size spare?

Please go to the original thread in the 4xGurad section to suggest future product ideas.
    Last edited by Knappster; 08-28-2010 at 09:53 AM. Reason: edited by Knappster when thread copied & moved.
    Mike
    2006 5.7L Limited, Inferno Red, QDII, and all goodies. Modified Superlift 4" lift-kit, B.F.G. 285/70R17 A/Ts (1.25" spacers), Aries tail-light guards, AVS ventvisors, KC Hilites off-road lights, and from 4xGuard: Belly Guard, Front Guard 4, Matrix brush guard with Receiver and Grill Hoop, Rear Diff Guard, Rear Guard 2, Rear Sliders, and Side Guards.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty WanderingTs's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Rear swing away tire carrier, not blocking the hitch, or with DOT rated hitch.
    The best things in life can not be found on a map; they can only be found while Wandering.
    __________________________________________________ ___

2007 XK - 4.7L Flex Fuel // Rocky Road 2.25 lift // Rocky Road Super Sliders // Toyo Open Country 265/70R17 tires // 4xGuard Front Guard // 4xGuard Belly Guard // 4xGuard Matrix-HC with optional front hitch // Warn XD9000I hitch mounted winch // Graco Carseat for the Youngun

http://www.xk-forum.com/blog.php - The Wild(life) Side of Jeeping

Quote Originally Posted by WanderingTs View Post
    Rear swing away tire carrier, not blocking the hitch, or with DOT rated hitch.
    Can I ask why you want one? There's no real need for a full-size spare tire on these systems, so is it to convert the spare space into a secondary fuel tank or storage area or something?
    Mike
    2006 5.7L Limited, Inferno Red, QDII, and all goodies. Modified Superlift 4" lift-kit, B.F.G. 285/70R17 A/Ts (1.25" spacers), Aries tail-light guards, AVS ventvisors, KC Hilites off-road lights, and from 4xGuard: Belly Guard, Front Guard 4, Matrix brush guard with Receiver and Grill Hoop, Rear Diff Guard, Rear Guard 2, Rear Sliders, and Side Guards.

Senior Member Getting Dirty NeilSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    when you have oversized tires that wont fit in the tire well, it would be nice to have a spare the same size tire and same wheel . the computer systems wont like you driving with a stock size spare and 3 oversized tires.
    '07 Commander 3.7 V6
    2" Rough Country Lift with Vision Warriors and Goodyear Duratracs 245/75R17
    BajaRack Mega-Mule with KC Daylighters
    http://s624.photobucket.com/albums/t...cpZZ1QQtppZZ20

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    Im assuming he wants one because his spare tire wont fit underneith the vehicle due to it being larger then the oem tire size.

Is there any chance 4xguard can make a skid plate for the front suspension similar to the Mopar skid? The Mopar skid's are really thin and mine hasn't held up to well over the past few off road trips.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Regarding the tire issue: We've talked at length with one of the lead Jeep engineers behind these 4wd systems about just this. He has told us that the tire-size difference issue is essentially a myth. It may have been true in the old days, but a full-size spare isn't necessary with these. Unlike a simple mechanical system, the computer can adjust on the fly to account for the diameter difference.

Would you want to drive 100 miles at high speed without a match? No. Definitely not (for many reasons). But for limping out to get a repair done? No problem. We don't carry a full-size match on any of our rigs.

As for the front Mopar skid: it is an interesting notion. We've generally tried to fill on market gaps before worrying about a product for which another option actually exists. But if that other product is deficient, that could be a different story. I've not looked at the Mopar skid in a long time, honestly. I have the Superlift one on now.

Good feedback, though, folks! Keep 'em coming!
    Mike

Blog Entries
    Im sure driving out of the woods to get a tire fixed is ok. But the last time I had a flat , I put the spare on and drove home 180 miles. That was with stock size tires all around. If you rip a sidewall apart on the trail then there is no fixing the tire. there might not be a tire shop nearby or one that is open. You may have to travel back home on a spare that is not the same size as the others, and that can very easily be of some distance.
    '07 Commander 3.7 V6

Junior Member Looking for Dirt bruijr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilSmith View Post
    Im sure driving out of the woods to get a tire fixed is ok. But the last time I had a flat , I put the spare on and drove home 180 miles. That was with stock size tires all around. If you rip a sidewall apart on the trail then there is no fixing the tire. there might not be a tire shop nearby or one that is open. You may have to travel back home on a spare that is not the same size as the others, and that can very easily be of some distance.
    I have to agree with Neil on this one. Like I mentioned in the "air down or not" thread I once had two flat tires in Big Bend state park. Luckily they were jsut punctured tires and I was able to plug a hole with a large screw to get of the trail. But in case of a ripped side wall, the next decent town close enough to carry a larger variaty of tires is Fort Stockton. That's far over a hunderd miles not taking into account an other possible two hours to get of the trail. I do see the need for something the carry a full size spare.
    2007 4x4 Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Mods:
    OME HD Lift, 1/4" Rusty's strut plates, HD UCA's
    American Racing ATX Mojave wheels with Goodyear Duratrac 265/70 R17 tires
    Mopar skid plates & sport utility bars, 12" billet antenna

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Having a full size spare is just smart planning. If your tire goes down on the trail you still have to navigate your way off the trail crawling over rocks and such. I could limp it off with my stock spare but it would be easier and safer I think to have a matching spare with me. Also the ability to carry a full size spare means I can leave my stock one in place and have two spares now for the trails. The stock one of course being the emergency spare to the spare.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal-XK View Post
    Having a full size spare is just smart planning. If your tire goes down on the trail you still have to navigate your way off the trail crawling over rocks and such. I could limp it off with my stock spare but it would be easier and safer I think to have a matching spare with me. Also the ability to carry a full size spare means I can leave my stock one in place and have two spares now for the trails. The stock one of course being the emergency spare to the spare.
    X2
    '07 Commander 3.7 V6

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information