Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you carry a "full Size" spare tire?

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty El Cid's Avatar
    But what if your spare for the spare goes bad?

Wait... I already know the answer. That's why you put another one on the roof rack!

And in case that one goes bad, you really ought to have another on the hood.

And if that goes bad, common sense dictates that you toss another one outboard on the passenger side (doubles as a rock bumper in tight spots, too).

And if that goes bad ...

I'm giving you a hard time, but I understand that kind of thinking 100%. It's just not for me personally. I guess I'm an optimist who hasn't been burned yet. To me it's like carrying an extra driveshaft. Would I be glad I had it in some terrible worst-case scenario? Sure. Am I going to carry one? Don't think so. Must have room for beer.

Of course, am I going to be seriously grateful that someone else is carrying one when I "win the lottery" and splinter the driveshaft? You better believe it!

This thread is quickly getting hijacked on the issue, but I'll also point out that you can already carry a bigger tire than stock in the OEM hold. If I remember rightly, I'm pretty sure you can fit at least a 265/70R17 deflated, strapped, and raised carefully. That doesn't account for an "emergency spare to the spare," obviously, and you need to carry an air compressor (which is a good idea anyway), but it'll get the job done without the need to add a swing-away carrier with its weight and possible reduced clearance.

All of which doesn't mean that we may not ultimately make one for you. The customer, as they say, is always right. Right?

So y'all want a spare tire carrier. What else?
    Mike
    2006 5.7L Limited, Inferno Red, QDII, and all goodies. Modified Superlift 4" lift-kit, B.F.G. 285/70R17 A/Ts (1.25" spacers), Aries tail-light guards, AVS ventvisors, KC Hilites off-road lights, and from 4xGuard: Belly Guard, Front Guard 4, Matrix brush guard with Receiver and Grill Hoop, Rear Diff Guard, Rear Guard 2, Rear Sliders, and Side Guards.

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    I bought the MT/R's with Kevlar hoping that I would never need a spare. So far so good.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty WanderingTs's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Yes to all the above for reasons to want one. Also, on my old pickup with a spare underneath, I found a sharp rock with the sidewall on the spare once. I found that out the hard way when I got a flat on the way home and my spare was unprepared. Luckily, I was out to the paved road and AAA to the rescue!

Also hear hear to replacing the mopar plates with something stronger. I have hit the mopar plates - instant dent. I have hit my 4XGuard plates....just a scrape.
    The best things in life can not be found on a map; they can only be found while Wandering.
    __________________________________________________ ___

2007 XK - 4.7L Flex Fuel // Rocky Road 2.25 lift // Rocky Road Super Sliders // Toyo Open Country 265/70R17 tires // 4xGuard Front Guard // 4xGuard Belly Guard // 4xGuard Matrix-HC with optional front hitch // Warn XD9000I hitch mounted winch // Graco Carseat for the Youngun

http://www.xk-forum.com/blog.php - The Wild(life) Side of Jeeping

Senior Member Getting Dirty NeilSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I actually bent two rims and busted the bead on two tires at the same time going thru an open ford too fast. Two spares would have nbeen nice. Im not worried about having two spares, I just thought a carrier would be cool.
    '07 Commander 3.7 V6
    2" Rough Country Lift with Vision Warriors and Goodyear Duratracs 245/75R17
    BajaRack Mega-Mule with KC Daylighters
    http://s624.photobucket.com/albums/t...cpZZ1QQtppZZ20

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty El Cid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal-XK View Post
    can't ignore the cool factor
    Now that is talking my language!
    Mike
    2006 5.7L Limited, Inferno Red, QDII, and all goodies. Modified Superlift 4" lift-kit, B.F.G. 285/70R17 A/Ts (1.25" spacers), Aries tail-light guards, AVS ventvisors, KC Hilites off-road lights, and from 4xGuard: Belly Guard, Front Guard 4, Matrix brush guard with Receiver and Grill Hoop, Rear Diff Guard, Rear Guard 2, Rear Sliders, and Side Guards.

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    What kind of tires/wheels are you guys running where you are bending wheels and blowing beads? Also what psi were you running at the time?
    Last edited by 07JeepXK; 08-29-2010 at 08:04 AM.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Senior Member Getting Dirty NeilSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 07JeepXK View Post
    What kind of tires/wheels are you guys running where you are bending wheels and blowing beads? Also what pis where you running at the time?
    stock wheels and tires at 35psi. 2 wheels , 2 tires and refinish bumper cover = $1400 insurance estimate
    '07 Commander 3.7 V6
    2" Rough Country Lift with Vision Warriors and Goodyear Duratracs 245/75R17
    BajaRack Mega-Mule with KC Daylighters
    http://s624.photobucket.com/albums/t...cpZZ1QQtppZZ20

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    At Camp Commander I brought 2 spares as I had a long way to travel and did not want to not have a spare tire:

2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WanderingTs View Post
    Rear swing away tire carrier, not blocking the hitch, or with DOT rated hitch.
    This is what I have and mine was made by Stone Soup Metal Works, the only thing missing is the DOT approved stamp but I can tell you mine is every bit as good as the OEM hitch that is was based off.
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information