Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Adding Second Battery

Senior Member Getting Dirty NeilSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I've been interested in the solar option. Sal, what kind of set-up did you guys use ? I've seen the small solar sets in catalogs like Cheaper Than Dirt. Are these any good for cell phone and Ipod charging, or just a gimmic ?
    '07 Commander 3.7 V6
    2" Rough Country Lift with Vision Warriors and Goodyear Duratracs 245/75R17
    BajaRack Mega-Mule with KC Daylighters
    http://s624.photobucket.com/albums/t...cpZZ1QQtppZZ20

Senior Member Getting Dirty superacerc's Avatar
    Some actually work pretty well but it really depends on how you mean to use it. It would definitely keep up with cell phones and ipods as long as the sun's out. You can charge a car battery at a trickle charge rate 2-5amp with the Coleman solar cell.
    Last edited by superacerc; 10-03-2010 at 05:43 AM.
    2007 Commander 4.7L, QTII, OEM Towing Option, tow hooks, 2"OME + 1/4" rusty's leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shks, Rear sway bar removed, 4xguard front skid, Offroad Unlimited Defender Roof Rack, Hella 500FF lights, 265/70/R17 BFG KM2 M/Ts 1.5" Rough Country Wheel Spacers
    http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...acerc-s-Garage

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilSmith View Post
    I've been interested in the solar option. Sal, what kind of set-up did you guys use ? I've seen the small solar sets in catalogs like Cheaper Than Dirt. Are these any good for cell phone and Ipod charging, or just a gimmic ?
    It all depend on what and how many you hook up to the solar panel. They do cell phones and Ipods just fine for the most part. The bigger the panel the more power it can generate. The sun don't need to be out for them to work they do work with cloud cover just not as well. The brand makes a diff as well my buddies one took all day to charge an Ipod and mine did not the panels were about the same size. I can't remember which brand I had I sold it to one of the guys coming in as I was going out. Just shop for one like you would a generator the more amps it pushes out the better it will do.

Senior Member Getting Dirty NeilSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal-XK View Post
    It all depend on what and how many you hook up to the solar panel. They do cell phones and Ipods just fine for the most part. The bigger the panel the more power it can generate. The sun don't need to be out for them to work they do work with cloud cover just not as well. The brand makes a diff as well my buddies one took all day to charge an Ipod and mine did not the panels were about the same size. I can't remember which brand I had I sold it to one of the guys coming in as I was going out. Just shop for one like you would a generator the more amps it pushes out the better it will do.
    Thanks, bro.
    '07 Commander 3.7 V6
    2" Rough Country Lift with Vision Warriors and Goodyear Duratracs 245/75R17
    BajaRack Mega-Mule with KC Daylighters
    http://s624.photobucket.com/albums/t...cpZZ1QQtppZZ20

Dual Battery Option

I have fitted 16mm2 dual core cable from the main battery through a Traxide Tronics SC80-12 Smart Charger to the aux battery and a anderson plug mounted under the rear bumper. Charge is delivered to a Thumper 75AH Aux Battery Pack (which sits on the third row left hand folded down seat) and the caravan batteries when in tow.

Thumper 75AH Battery Pack

I use the power from the second battery to run the front mounted laptop, kids electronic games, phone chargers and a Waeco 45lt fridge. In the bush without driving, the fridge will last two days (who sits still for that long anyway).

This system has worked well for the last 18 months and I used the same unit in my last 4WD for many years. Eventually I'll mount the aux Battery under a false floor (when my oldest leaves the nest and I can move all kids to the second row).
    Last edited by GPCDR; 10-10-2010 at 06:46 AM.
    My Commander Post 75

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information